Area Test Pieces - 2006

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by johnmartin, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Had crossed my mind as well, perhaps it would explain the early announcement? Although it would be a little OTT I think to start rehearsing the piece already! :lol:

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It's certainly as challenging, and will test which bands can understand how to play (a) cross rhythms, (b) beuatifully, and (c) weird stuff.

I'm looking forward to it...

3. jonford

jonford Member

I don't really think it does give them an advantage. If bands really want to it gives them almost 6 months to practise the test piece which should be plenty of time for most championship section bands

4. JR

JR Member

Absolutely correct - 2005's 2nd Section (Variations for Brass band) and (particularly) 3rd Section (Tam O'Shanter) choices were ridiculous - this was blindingly obvious - barely a handful of bands in Britain could get near them - this view was backed up not just by conductors or adjudicators such as me but by the band press as a whole - particularly Iwan Fox on 4br
    I fear a re-run of this year's 3rd section mess with Gilbert Vinter's Entertainments.
    The panel seem to have an extremely confused view of the current standard of the British 3rd grade. Last year's FINALS piece was Diamond Heritage by Darrol Barry. The gulf in technical/musical ability required to play this piece compared with either Tam O'Shanter or Entertainments is enormous.
    I think there should be a clear and distinct difference between Area pieces and Finals pieces - quite simply the Finals choice should be much more difficult, not the other way around

john r

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

In what context? I found it extremely interesting that quite a lot of the top Bands underestimated it in various ways.

If you mean polar opposite, fair enough, but Rienzi was difficult in different ways.

I also agree that Entertainments is possibly stretching it abit far for the 3rd Section, but only time will tell.

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I prefer the Rick Wakeman version myself:rolleyes:

7. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

This years 4th section finals piece requires nearly all the band to be able to flutter tongue and techniques found in the 3rd section rather than the 4th. Entertainments is going to be an even bigger step for those bands that have just been promoted yet alone the top of the 3rd section table bands. It will be quite a change from Malvern suite which we have to play at the durham league contest! There are many good players that are good enough for higher section bands that will relish the challenge and just think how much better the band will be after the area for being stretched.

8. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Anyone got any clue what the euph part's like for Entertainments? Forewarned is forearmed!

9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

HARD!!!!!!! technical....

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

No such thing as an easy piece - and this certainly isn't one of them :biggrin:. Get it early ;)

11. any1 know what the trombone parts are like for the 1st section piece?, could do with knowing, hope the solo parts playable, i wanna have a crack at it!

12. just 1 point to make about the pieces and bands involved.

it has to be said, and no offense to any bands here, but the yorkshire section in a big part of it has the stronger bands, now the question has to be made, could the 4th section L+SC bands play the 4th section piece, if they can then its most likely that the other regions 4th section bands can play it (i say most likely, obviously all bands are of different abilities).

what im saying is, these pieces should be chosen with the following points to consider:

1stly, that all bands should at least be able to perform the piece to a degree where they dont make a mess of it on the day

2ndly on the other hand, the pieces should be of a difficulty where the bands are not given an easy ride.

all the pieces should be playable, YET! also challenging aswell.

it makes you wonder if these points are being considered, altho i'll be honest, ive not seen or heard any of the 5 pieces chosen 4 the regionals 2006, so i can't pass comment on those specifically just yet.

i felt that viscaya was a harder piece than kalaidascope and so they should have switched sections, ie 2nd do vis. and 3rd do kal.

tam o.s. should have been the 2nd section piece, but var.4.brass was a bit too difficult for the 2nd section, so maybe the 1st should have had that, i didnt make much of the comedy overture, it didnt seem all that comedic anyway, i'd have scrapped that 1 for that contest.

the 3rd section seems to have had some of the more tunefull pieces in recent yrs, rather than the 2nd section, which gets all the duff 1s, well duff in comparison.

ive been very keen on 3rd section pieces such as st austell suite, cherchebi, northern landscapes, viscaya, and tam o shanters ride.

not been so keen on kalaidascope, celestial prospect, belmont variations, or symphony for brass.

what do you think the choosers take in to account when choosing the pieces for the contests?

perhaps a chooser themself may be able to shed some light on this?

13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'll guarantee one thing.

There will be complaints about the choice of test piece because

a)People will think they are too easy / too hard.
    b) There will be hints that the band that does the recording for the Championship section piece will have an unfair advantage.
    c) Some people won't like the choice of test piece.

Oh. Looks like it might have started already. Great, that will be another 6 months of complaining.

14. sywity

sywity New Member

Can anyone tell me what the Solo Horn part is like for Entertainments please - I have never even seen the piece before!!!!:confused:

cheers

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn
    Pilling Jubilee Silver Band

15. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

16. stopher

stopher Member

YESSSSSS!

Am looking forward to wagging Entertainments already - played it years ago and loved it. 2nd movement if I remember correctly is a horn feature and the last movement should be fun trying to get the off beats in the right place! Could be a class or comedy moment!!!!

Heard Dyke playing Journey to the Centre of the Earth in the anniverary concert. Sounded excellent piece on the first listening but am wondering if we'll have to do all the whispering - can imagine nobody will stick to what is written!

Don't really know about the other pieces (or to be brutally honest care!)

17. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

www, Voyage of Discovery...nice one that!

Looking forward now!

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

[pedant]The second movement of Entertainments (Elergy) is a cornet feature.[/pedant];)

Its a really good piece - very enjoyable both to play and listen to. Whether the average 3rd section band will be able to play it is an entirely different matter though. For me I think its too hard and will cause lots of problems in all three movements for a lot of bands.

I'm not sure were the selection commitee are going with the choices of the recent area pieces. My own pet theory is that they are trying to close the gaps up between the sections by stretching bands at the one contest they will all enter. Thats fine, but the risk is that bands will struggle so much that they eventually give up. Also its hardly likely to encourage people "from outside" to come and listen if all they're going to get for their money is several ropey performances of the same piece. Although, with the oncoming threat of making bandsmen pay to listen to their own section maybe they have simply given up trying to encourage members of the public in to listen. :confused:

Oh, I've never heard any of the other pieces so can't really pass comment on them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  19. Di

Di Active Member

I'll ask since Vic isn't here to do it. Anyone know what the solo horn part is like to Voyage of Discovery? :)

20. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I wanna hire Tim Burton to Narrate over the Mic...