Area Test Pieces - 2006

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by johnmartin, Aug 3, 2005.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

How about

Championship Section
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Peter Graham

1st Section
    Voyage of Discovery - Goff Richards

2nd Section
    Images of the Millennium - Howard Snell

3rd Section
    Entertainments - Gilbert Vinter

4th Section
    Anglian Dances - Alan Fernie

At least that's what it says on the Scottish Brass Band Association website

2. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Interesting, I'll wait for a full announcement from somewhere like 4BR myself (not that I'm doubting the SBBA's credibility ;-)) but if they're right, I'm really looking forward to "Journey to Centre of the Earth". :D

3. jonford

jonford Member

Strange, Aren't these announcements a bit early?

4. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

I've spoken to two of the listed publishers this morning who, after checking the SBBA website themselves to make sure I wasn't trying to pull a swift one, confirmed their respective pieces and that they had been informed recently. I suppose, therefore, that we can trust the entire list. (He says calling his supplier to order Journey to the Centre of the Earth).

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Close but no cigar :rolleyes:

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We at tMP have it on good authority that the pieces given are indeed those selected, the information having been received by John Martin via email as an official press release dated 1st August, and for immediate inclusion on the website.

The announcement is certainly earlier than last year, when the news broke on 10th September, the weekend of the Lower Sections National Finals.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

1st sections bands are in for a treat.. this piece is a good one, especially for Goff fans! Played the piece in uni this year and it's really cool, some great moments....

Good lineup of pieces.... :) can't wait to hear bands playing these :D

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe that "Images of the Millennium" was originally intended for two bands: has this been re-arranged specially for the contest?

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Images of the Millenium was written for two bands, and I seem to remember there being narration involved. However I think the A band parts work as a stand alone piece. Quite testing for 2nd section I would think.

10. impycornet

impycornet Member

---

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  11. impycornet

impycornet Member

There was indeed narration involved - And I seem to remember rifle shots too !!!

I assume there has been some re-scoring to turn it into a 1-band test piece

12. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Entertainments is going to be a cracker as well especially on the back of Tam O'Shanter this year. third section bands should really enjoy working on this one.

13. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

If this is correct, once again the 3rd section get stuck with a piece that very few bands will be able to make a good performance of. When Oh when will they learn.........................

14. flugel4rent

flugel4rent New Member

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Peter Graham

That should certainly sort the wheat from the chaff as they say. Just what was needed after Rienzi.

15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

hmmmmmmmmm!!!
    Entertainments certainly sounds like its going to be a test for the 3rd section!!!
    on 1st impression anyway!:redface:

16. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Ive played it and I tell you I'm glad im not on sop!

17. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

so do you people think entertainments is easier or harder than tam?? hmm sounds like were going too have fun with that one anyway!

18. Has anyone heard Journey to the centre of the earth before? Whats it like? is there a recording of it anywhere? Am I instore for a hernia and blackouts......

19. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The EBBC2005 Highlights CD should be available at the end of this month... http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=1310

20. JR

JR Member

And what's the betting this recording shows up on next year's "Regionals"CD?
    And don't you think this choice gives Dyke an ever so slight advantage at St Georges Hall?
    Let's face it they've not only seen it months before anyone else, they slaughtered the opposition with it (including Cory's) at the European!
    I just hope Dyke get in the first 3 at London thus pre-qualifying, that way, in view of this choice at the area, there will be a slightly leveller playing field.

john r