Area test pieces 2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Other than the 'new' work (or new arrangement, anyway; I'm talking about Rienzi... so new that it hasn't been registered with PRS or MCPS yet!), can we take it that if bands already have sets of Divertimento, Tam O'Shanter's Ride, Variations for Brass Band or Comedy Overture that they won't have to fork out again for a new 'set'? Entering into the publishing business as I am, I'm being very careful NOT to criticise the publishers or stir things, but as an example, Fulham (4th section) already have a set of Divertimento from which we played when we used it as our own choice at the SCABA Folkestone contest last year. Can we use that? (I say 'we', but I'll be long gone by then!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Divertimento
    Comedy Overture
    SCABA Folkestone
    MCPS
    Rienzi
  3. jpbray

jpbray Member

It is always going to be a hot topic of debate, and would assume much has already been said on this forum, but should the championship test piece be the preserve of new commissioned music. Gems are hard to find that's why they are gems. :-?

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nope. Not at all. Nothing wrong in using original test pieces used in the top section before, though. Or is it now a case of 'once played, it's too easy to bring back again'? It's not that I was suggesting new music all the time, simply that the top section now seem to be the preserve of transcriptions nowadays! ;-)

5. jpbray

jpbray Member

We are back to balance again. A lot of new muisc is "A tonal" and somewhat of a percussion free for all, transcribed non-original music has the element of we have a good idea of what we are getting with no big surpises. Should it therefore be more of a case to go for the new stuff, then resort back to the transcribed music for a breather.

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Alternatively, just get new composers to write more tuneful testpieces. Atonal's ok in moderation, but you can't beat a good ol' foot tapper!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Why would they have to fork out for a new set?!

9. jpbray

jpbray Member

I agree, but you could argue that some of the technically demanding contest pieces are purely for the contest stage, and the "good ol" foot tapper more for the concert stage.

10. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I'm sure that when I was talking to the man from Just Music on Saturday about Tam O' Shantyer, he said that it had been reworked a little bit. Might be worth checking out as if this is the case it'll be new sets all round!

11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Call me a Cynic, but won't the publishers try and "re-work" all the set works so we all have to fork out another 40-50-60 quid! It's a easy earner every year.

Last year with Vizcaya we (Emley) bought a new set, we didn't have it. Another local band also in 3rd section used an old copy from their libary, we were talking later and the soprano parts were different in places!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Divertimento
    Comedy Overture
    SCABA Folkestone
    MCPS
    Rienzi