Area Test Piece Rumours for 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jonno, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I hope its good as I have just left a band which will be playing festival overture next areas and I love Eric Ball... No regrets though as Verwood is definately on the up

2. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

What next Flying pigs

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:pig ... how many? (on the wing of course ;) )

4. Mesmerist

Dark side of the moon is LOVELY!!! just played the regional CD and I can`t wait to play it. Trombones have got to be a good team and loads for the middle of the band and some really exposed quiet bits and some difficult counting. Love it!!!!

5. bignige

bignige Member

Researching Dark Side and see that Paul Lovatt-Cooper's own band Royal Oakley performed this at Buxton and Preston in second section and got good results. According to their website they are now in the third section for 2008.

I know that it should make no difference as there will always be times when bands are more familiar with a piece than others (particularly in the championship section with commissioned pieces) and the adjudicators will eventually decide but were the Music Panel aware of this particular conflict of interests or should they be concerned?

Is not an issue for my band but our Welsh colleagues may have an opinion.

Nice to hear it's a lovely piece Mesmerist. Look forward to getting it. Any triple tonguing??

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Wasn't there once a time when Eric Ball was conducting one of his pieces with B & R at a contest where an ajudicator wrote something along the lines of "I don't think this is what the composer intended?"

I don't personally think that it will make much of a difference. Mostly the bands with the best overall sound and technique win contests.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

I think you mean Royal Buckley.

I don't see this as a conflict of interest - far from it. And you seem to have answered your own question there anyway - so no point in me picking the bones out of it.

I'm not having a go directly at you here, but I just don't get why people look for small insignificant things just to nit-pick and criticise, when we should be glad that a newish piece by a newish composer has been chosen for the areas.

8. bignige

bignige Member

:oops: Sorry to the Royal bands. No offence intended.

I do not think I am making any nit picking remarks here only asking whether the Music Panel should or do take these things in account.

I look forward to playing it as I do with all the new music that is in contesting these days in the lower sections.

9. Mesmerist

hello bignige, doesn`t sound too technical just need big round sounds and accurate tuning and brave soloists in the exposed bits. Lots of muted cornet work, cornet solo then later flugel, solo trom and horn bits. Plenty of percussion (of course!). Our MD has bought the score at Harrogate so I think we are having a run through it on monday. (see you there!!!!) Know more then!! good luck to all:)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  10. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

I'm really enjoying listening to the 4th section piece, sounds good.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

tracklist:-
    1-3:Festival Music (Eric Ball) - Black Dyke
    4:James Cook -Circumnavigator (Gilbert Vinter) - Cory
    5-7:Three Part Invention (Kenneth Downie) - Whitburn
    8:The Dark Side Of The Moon (Paul Lovatt-Cooper) - Black Dyke
    9-12:Four Cities Symphony (Rodney Newton) - Cory

http://www.worldofbrass.eu/acatalog/24869.html

12. Di

Di Active Member