Area Test Piece Rumours for 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jonno, Jul 31, 2007.

1. winterman

winterman Member

Hehe.. just bobbed onto www.chandosmusic.com to see if they had an mp3 of James Cook and it is already at number 3 on the most popular downloads! That's fast work guys and gals!! :D

Epic Brass for those who haven't heard it yet (like me)!

2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

It was number 5 a month ago on another download site - so obviously people believed the rumour!

Epic Brass is a great CD too.

3. the fish

the fish Member

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I checked in the last minute or two and it was at number 1!

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

You can read Paul Lovatt-Cooper's notes (and buy the band set) by following this link.

For information regarding Four Cities Symphony follow this link.

6. winterman

winterman Member

Yeah nice how it will probably go down to £25 or so after the Areas!

Found that with a few pieces over the years, normally very affordable and then get picked as a test piece and the money grabbers suddenly double the price!! I know this is not usually down to the retailers but the publishing companies!

Makes you wonder if the composer gets double the royalties from the sale as well?!

7. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Unless you win on Sun ;)

8. Hmmm, the usual fourth section waltz movement. Now there's a shock

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Should we win SATURDAY we do not have to go into Championship Section!!!

10. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Surely you do... National Champions are automatically promoted, no?

11. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

You can turn the invitation down or appeal against it if you so wish I think. A step too far has been the downfall of many a band.

12. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Three Part Invention? Never heard of it. Although a friend tells me it was used in Dutch Championships 2005.
    Bring it on anyway!! :bounce Here we go! :woo

13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Help! I'm so depressed I'm even typing in black.:cry: Went to the link about "Dark Side of the Moon" and instead of a homage to Pink Floyd I've read the composers description of this piece mentioning words such as "Desolate, Barren and Rugged", "no light or warmth" and Eeriness". Surely he'd be trying to sell it to us so if that's as upbeat as it gets, I'll start booking Psych-rehab beds now!!

So that'll be a joy to rehearse then!?!?

If anyone knows any different (having played it before) please put me and every other 3rd section player out of our (pending) misery!:shock:

14. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've never heard Festival Music myself but everyone at rehearsal last night was telling me how good it is. Can't wait to get stuck into it!!!

15. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

16. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Think you are right as following desription/composer notes:

From the Just Music website details of the piece at :-

http://www.justmusicuk.com/spweb/details.php?catno=JM42024

"Duration 10.55
    Written in June 2005 by Kenneth Downie for the 25th. Anniversary of the Netherlands Brass Band Championships in 2005 and used again in 2006, the composer writes :

I borrowed the title for this music from J.S.Bach, some of whose great contrapuntal keyboard works bearing that name I struggled to play as a student. Any similarity with Bach is very loose and superficial however. I am really only using the term to describe a suite, invented by me which happens to be in three movements.

The first idea in the Prelude does have a hint of counterpoint about it, but it is only a veneer and by the time the euphonium melody appears at the Meno Mosso, we are in a more lyrical style which is further developed by the cornets.

The second movement, Larghetto Espressivo, is an affectionate glance at the music of the late 18th./ early 19th. century, and calls for a singing style, with great sensitivity. The closing horn calls should be full of nostalgia.

The finale, Caprice brings back a quick change of tempo and mood. The aim is to be light hearted and good humoured, while always remaining musical and avoiding vulgarity. Hopefully by the end, players and listeners will have enjoyed themselves."

regards

17. Owen S

Owen S Member

Well, if it's as depressing as The Undaunted by Eric Ball, or Three Impressions by Arthur Butterworth, I'll be impressed. :D

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Will the organisers be issuing bands with a CD of alarm-clock effects? Or will bands have to provide their own? Will Ray Payne be providing a selection of alarm-clocks on the day?

19. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Don't forget the cash registers and lots of change. Also I think there was a grand piano in there that you have to drop from a great height.

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I thought that was an axe and a tv set? or was that "The Wall"?