Area Test Piece Rumours for 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jonno, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

so here they are then for 2008 ive got my bandsman in front of me now
    Festival Music
    JAMES COOK CIRCUMNAVIGATOR:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    Three Part Invention
    The Dark Side of The Moon
    Four Cities Symphony

AT LAST MY FAVORITE ALL TIME PIECE FOR AREA 1ST SECTION
    Look at the above from my post when i posted

2. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Don't go getting promoted this weekend then!!!!!

3. MattB

MattB Member

Just googled four cities symphony and its bringing nowt up. Who's arranged it? And does anyone know of it?

Matt.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Four Cities Symphony" is a new work by Rodney Newton, commissioned with funds supplied by the National Contesting Council.

Downie's "Three part invention" was written for the Dutch Championships in 2005, and Paul Lovatt-Cooper's "The dark side of the moon" is a Black Dyke commission.

5. And all I get for Dark Side of the Moon (from Google) is Pink Floyd - dunno how thats gonna work - lol

6. £50!!!!!!

Spose I'd better get it ordered

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'm not sure either. It's about 40 minutes long, and how are they going to incorporate the vocals. Money will never sound the same again!! ;)

8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder if the Areas CD will have the recent Black Dyke recording of Festival Music included? You can still get a hold of Faireys playing it under the direction of Peter Parkes (1990). And if you are lucky, the 1972 recording of Yorkshire Imps playing it after their Open win in 1971 is a handy reference recording. Most recent broadcast was Eikanger playing it on at this year's RNCM Festival Of Brass.

10. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Totally agree on the last few points about timing of the release.
    If the area piece was announced in May no band in the country would start rehearsing it then!!!
    Why have the meeting so early on I don't know? If the meeting to decide on the piece was say in October, they would announce staight away. But this way at present leaves bands to speculate and listen to "reliable" rumours! I mean we've got a pretty good idea on what the piece is for 2008, as does probably many bands in the country!!!
    What about deciding now what the piece is for the next 5 years? If commission just leave it as that.
    Bands that get wind of more reliable sourced rumours are more advantage that others.
    On the subject, why do (top) bands have to make a fresh recording of a piece for the "regional CD" when there's already good ones on other CD's that can be collated onto one CD? Surely this gives those bands a huge advantage! And this could well be where the rumours stem from!

11. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Flip me I didn't even know they were announced until I read some previous posts!!! There's me waiting to read it on 4BR first!!! Thank God for the newspaper!

Well we were told right!!! Anyone else?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yeah though to be fair, every time there's a thread like this you mention James Cook as your choice for First Section, so you were bound to guess correctly eventually!

13. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

It'll be great to hear if the Championship section bands can make music next year!! I also see that the 2nd section piece is published by North Music - a company that finds any excuse not to pay royalties to composers and arrangers... well not to me anyway!!

14. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Dark Side of the Moon is a Lovatt-Cooper piece. Hope your troms (All three) have got triggers!

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you don't mean ... the return of the fine art of rubato do you? ;)

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

:rolleyes: ^
    How nice to get it right for a change!!!!!:clap: :woo :woo

17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I heard it played at Buxton this year by the composer himself conducting it;Its a real corker for the bands to play and audience to listen to:clap:

18. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Perky was right! Don't tarnish the shine of this rarest of all rare events Dyl!!!!

19. MattB

MattB Member

Chuff me! £50 plus £80 entry fee. Better be a good piece this, Rodney lad!!

At least the new compositions will guarrantee a few Regionals CDs shift this year. Bet Doyen are rubbing their hands!

20. Dave1

Dave1 Member

"I heard it played at Buxton this year by the composer himself conducting it;Its a real corker for the bands to play and audience to listen to"

Tell us more please