Area Test Piece Rumours for 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jonno, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Jonno

Jonno Member

Looked carefully but can't find any threads covering this (which surprises me).

So, with the announcement only a few weeks away and probably with the choices already made, what do you think/would like to spending the first three months of next year rehearsing; i.e. what will be the area tests next year ?

For what it's worth I'll start with some ideas, some rumours I've heard, some I'd like to see (not saying which is which !!!) :-

Championship : Extreme Makeover (de Meij), Apocolypse (Bourgeois), Salute to Youth (Vinter)

First : Blitz (Bourgeois), Symphony of Marches (Vinter), Three Extraordinary Journeys (Sparke), Brass Metamorphosis (Curnow)

Second : Resurgam (Ball), Rhapsody for Brass (Goffin)

Third : Frogs of Aristophones (Bantock), Chorale and Toccata (Bulla)

Fourth : A Celtic Suite (Sparke), Cross Patonce (Richards)

Apologies to the 'Mods' if this is already somewhere else, couldn't finds it when looked.
  2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

With Salute to Youth being the First Section Nationals test piece a few years ago that seems unlikely. But Brass Metamorphosis and Symphony of Marches would be class pieces. Only commenting on First Section pieces. But what about Essence of Time, On Alderley Edge, English Heritage (too long) and so on. St Michael Ley Line for 4th Section? Anyone heard that?
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Music for a festival
    A Dowland suite
    variations on a ninth
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I know the area committee's now have the timings for the piece's, So someone knows what they all are!
  5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

How about "who cares, it's still 8 months away and what does it matter what we want, hope for etc. It will be decided and we will find out in plenty of time. maybe it's me and i don't want to appear a grumpy old man but I just can't be doing with all this type of guessing stuff.
  6. smaca

smaca Active Member

Yer right, you are a grumpy old man!:mad:

Seriously though, a lot of people are interested in this thread, and going by last years on the same subject, it had an enormous input and views from forum members.

Regardless of it being 8 months away, I personally find it interesing guessing and speculating what pieces might be. It only a bit of fun.:clap:
  7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

On Alderly Edge for the 1st section!! Are you serious!? :eek:
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

...or Essence of Time or English Heritage :eek:

Blimey if they're suitable 1st section Area pieces then I'd better hang up my flugel and take up bowls or something!
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

We haven't even got off the first page, and the main reason these threads are best avoided has already reared it's head ;)
  10. smaca

smaca Active Member

Essence of Time used for 1st Section Finals in 1994. However, I must agree with WoodenFlugel, and IMHO Essence is a Championship piece.
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oh I know it was. But a suitable piece for the finals and a suitable piece for the regionals are completely different beasts. Anyway, we're agreeing so I shouldn't argue...:wink:

I also should know better than to read this thread as I always find myself shouting something like "no, no, no man what are you thinking" to the computer, which gets a few odd looks from the other 30 people currently sat in this office. :redface:

Still it makes for an interesting debate I suppose...
  12. JR

JR Member

I think you'll find the producers/manufacturers of the silly "Regionals" CD for 2008 knows.
    And who knows? they probably know 2009 as well
    I think we should be told...?
    Or we could just wait

John R
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

let me play victorian snapshots first before we start thinking about the area's.
    however i throw one in for 1st section
    James Cook Circumnavigator
  14. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Are you having a larff. Wasn't this used as the 1st Section finals piece 10 (or so) years ago. Have 3rd Section bands really improved that much?
  15. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

re: the true test for 1st section...

Some strange posts on this thread, but let me give you a proper heads up as to the first section area piece in March.

I have on very good authority we are looking at none other that Heaton's 'contest music'. You heard it here first....

16. KMJ Recordings

17. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Chuffin' heck!
    The same Contest Music that was considered too hard for the National Finals in the 70's?
    They'll be some nervous cornet players out there.
  18. KMJ Recordings

Nah, they'll eat it for breakfast :hammer

it's only a C# - there's a whole other octave up there. Apparently. It's been invented since Contest Music was written, so we have to give that stuff to the Top Section seeing as we've progressed that much ;)
  19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

And heard it wrong!!!
  20. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Contest Music - oh yes, bring it on !