Area pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ComputerBloke, Dec 10, 2004.

1. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

Has anybody started looking at the area pieces yet?

We got Rienzi out for a blow and a big blow it certainly is!
    Lots of big pieces are prescribed for increasing stamina and sound.
  2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ran through it and looked through the score a few weeks ago... Mega Blow!! I love the piece... Not sure it'll suit the contests but that we shall see in 3 months...
  3. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

We've looked at 'Comedy' (couple o weeks ago actually)
    Great Piece... See y'all in March!
  4. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

We have played ours a few times "Comedy" I really like!!!
  5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

We've had a look through divertimento, but we've got Butlins first.
  6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We've ran thru Tam a couple of times, thot it sounded not too bad considering!! Think some of the kids have been listening to their cds, to see how it goes and following their parts, which is always a bonus I suppose! :)
  7. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Had a brief run-through variations. Very Musical, takes a controlled band to play it well. Top piece though
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We've had a quick look through Variations, no push over at all - I'm already anticipating lots of time spent on tuning and dynamics in the last section.

Good piece though I think.
  9. Meg

Meg Member

I've decided that the best way I can prepare for Rienzi is to start going to the gym.

Alliance Brass
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We haven't looked at Rienzi as a band yet. I did nick the EEb bass part from our librarian to look at over the holidays, but haven't done so yet.

TIMBONE Active Member

First rehearsal after Christmas it will be on the stands.
  12. six pints

six pints Active Member

W've had variations out for a bit now, but we have skeggy in january then area is end of feb, so not that long in between really (specially for us students that have to spend £10 to get hime for rehearsals grr)
  13. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

We had a couple of runs through Tam O' Shanter in October, just to give us a feel for the piece. And it was'nt all that bad considering. I pity the front row, it's a hellava blow for them!! I'm glad I have the nice easy soprano line!!! :p
  14. groovy

groovy Active Member

We've had a run through "wee Tammy" and it looks good fun. Not easy!
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

We've been through Variations....

me no likey :cry:
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Out of interest, which album did Grimey's excellent 'Comedy Overture' get taken from? (In my opinion, the best performance on the Regionals CD.)
  17. pjb120

pjb120 Member

Had a few looks at comedy, but not too impressed compared to the area pieces over the last couple of years (Coventry variations and Passacaglia). A rather uninspiring, old fashioned test piece (very few changes within the piece, and very little role for our percussionists). Any other views on this??
  18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I'm not gonna get to rehearse the piece until about a month before the contest as I'm 3rd choice reserve dep ;):D and I have to travel 100 miles each way to rehearsal :shock:.

I've listenend to the recording (which if I may say so is actually quite poor, but that's another story!!!!!) and will be very disappointed if I get to the rehearsal only to rehearse the several lengthy passages that are tacet for percussion :mad:.

I liked Coventry Variation but I am not impressed at all with this choice of area pieces. Comedy is a nice enough piece but as an Area Test piece?? I don't think so.
  19. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I'd agree in general, they are not too inspiring. Think we have the best deal with Tam O' Shanter in the third section.

We are gonna get our teeth stuck into it after Christmas, lets hope that people will practice the dots over Christmas!! :)
  20. lewis

lewis Member

I have to say that Rienzi is a fantastic piece of music and it is also a great arrangment (although a massive blow) but surely the only worry is it is going to be very hard to place the top bands because all the bands are going to be able to play it!? At the same time it is nice to have a piece in front of us that isn't just hard for the sack of it and has endless cadenzas that are stupidly hard just because it's a contst piece? Probably should be another thread about whether contest music is becoming hard just for the sack of being hard and forgetting about the music?