Area Pieces 2012

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by markh, Sep 16, 2010.

1. rutty

rutty Active Member

Yes, there are quite a few trap-doors for unwary bands. It's quite a blow, though. Should be a winner for those bands with a bigger, rounder sound

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Regarding "Mountain Views", I was fascinated to read the feature on 4BR ( http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=14670 ) advertising the Bandmaster Limited company's very kind offer on tenor horn cup mutes of "buy-two-get-third-half-price", at the staggeringly generous price of £237.50. (each).

I have to assume that the company has not actually seen the score, and does not realise that in fact only two horns require cup mutes?

And do the contest organisers really think that the average 1st section band can afford to spend c. £480 on two mutes that in all likelihood will never be used again?

I suspect that most bands will be doing what our horn section is doing, and organise their own solution, using some thick cardboard, duct tape, staples, thick felt, a pair of scissors and some imagination/common sense.

Regards,

Gareth J. Green
    [Acting Broker for practical mute solutions/bodge jobs - reasonable rates - please apply in confidence]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

or you could ask near-ish bands from other sections if they have any you could borrow.....;)

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yep ... good one; hadn't thought of that :oops: (although,our 2nd horn player has now put so much thought/effort/resourcefulness/design&build expertise into this that I don't think I would have the nerve to turn up with a ready-made solution ... )

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I always found that a music pad did the trick!

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

At least there is the possibility that they might come up for use again, being designed, as they are, for instruments that do appear in the ensemble at least.

Unlike that blasted double-bass bow we had to try to source for the tam-tam in 'pentacle'.......

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Which you will use again for the vibraphone should you ever play Of Men and Mountains :)

Might also be in Rococo Variations, not sure...

8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Ooh...And also "And the river told" by Simon Dobson. You get to shout and stamp your feet in this one too. It went down well in Rochdale did that!

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'll be doing that in Devil and the Deep Blue Sea...

"oh for f£*&'s SAKE"

10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I will see you in the bar Andy. I'm playing rep now so I'm not worrying at all.......

11. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

The price of £237.50 is for all 3 mutes, so not so bad as you suggest. Still pricey mind.

12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Is it? ... Pretty unclear if so. And, as I say, not much of an offer anyway considering only two are needed ...

13. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member