Area & Finals

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A question for you to consider here:We all have to play the same piece in order to qualifi for the National Finals in each section, a disscussion took place in our band break last night between about 10 of us;Do you think that you should play the same piece for the final or stick with the current system.It was mixed views with it going about 55% in favour of the same piece and 45% against going for the current system.What do you think:The Same Piece for the Finals /The Current System we have got

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    system.
    band break
    final
    system.It
    Finals
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

How about making this a poll, Ian?

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Of course, if we played the same piece in October as we do in March, we would be in danger of making contests even more dull than they are already. We are currently fighting with Journey to the Centre of the Earth, if we qualify for the finals and had to play it again, my band would have to find a new fist trombone!

Bah, humbug!

Duncan

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

How bored would the bands get playing the same test piece for a year?? I think the finals piece should be a tad more difficult than the area piece to prepare the winning bands and any other promoted bands for the challenges of the next section. Also, we need more opportunities for getting new music out there, not less.

I really can't see the advantage to playing the same piece at area and nationals. Surely the best band should be the best whatever the piece?

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like the new piece for finals, because in many cases it is a NEW piece. Last year both the Champ and 3rd? section were new pieces.

I personally would like to continue to see more new pieces for lower sections.

7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

How boring to play the same piece! I played Paganini at Leamington & I think that is the 6th / 7th time I've played the piece - was bored in rehearsal. Not really looking forward to having to do it next year.

Over the last 2 years, my band has habitually doen the same piece twice, mainly due to the fact that contests always come close to concerts (which of course are far more important than contests) and there has been little time to rehearse a new piece - however the band mainly don't like it and it is not something we will do in the future.

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Having never qualified for a national finals I can't really comment, but I am in agreement that re-using the same test piece would be deathly dull.

I don't think we've ever played the same piece back-to-back at two contests (Give or take re-using ravenswood at march contests) and it would be awful tedious to do so.

Having said that, our recent run at contests is not the best so maybe we should try it!

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Its a no no for me I'm afraid Ian. It would become so tedious and I know that from my point of view I would not see the finals piece as a challenge.

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

If we had qualified in the 90's when the test pieces were Forth Suite or New Buckenham Suite were used, I certainly wouldnt be going to the finals to play them again!! (Anyway all our copies of Forth Suite were put on a bonfire outside the bandroom after the contest, it was that bad!!)

Theres plenty of new (and underused test pieces) about so dont think theres a need to reuse them, especially when bands have slogged (and maybe gotton tired of them) for a few months at the start of the year, and then they have to do it all over again for the finals.

Me thinks a step in the wrong direction for the band movement...

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Couldn't agree more.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    system.
    band break
    final
    system.It
    Finals
  13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Definately not a good idea to reuse the test piece, also from an audience point of view they would have to listen to the same test piece in all sections over and over in the areas only to go to the finals to hear those same test pieces over and over again! Would put a lot of people off

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Ian... Man, come on, wouldn't you be bored with playing the same piece for 2 contests in a year?!... I like the current system as it is... if it went to the way you're saying (which, we all know it's not gonna happen), I'm quitting banding as it would make rehearsals dull... very very dull.

The finals is definatly a contest in which harder test pieces are used to really see who deserves to get the promotion... can soon see the bands who'll struggle and go down, and see the bands who'll shine... Certainly did in Harrogate this year :lol: oooh dear.....

15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Good point Naomi, the majority of bands in the finals have been promoted for the next year and so the finals test piece should in my opinion be of a standard of the section above which gives the band something to get their teeth into and prepares them for the following year

16. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Having played at the Nationals for the last 3 years, most in our band would have left if they had to play the same piece at the area and Nationals!

However, pretty sure that won't be an issue for Hatfield next year!:biggrin:

17. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

If we'd have qualified this year off of Comedy and then had to play it AGAIN at the Nationals.. I would have screamed!!

You have to get in another piece.. it just keeps things moving and pushing the bands even more. Whats the point in playing the same piece again? The bands not really going to improve (in general) much more after the area from it are they?

...Rise to a challenge...Get in a new piece! :biggrin: