Area contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AJSOP, Mar 1, 2004.

1. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Does anybody think it is a little unfair that areas such as the southwest are the last to have their area contest and then find it very difficult to find a hotel nearby to the actual finals if they do manage to qualify??? whereas areas such as yorkshire always have first pick of hotels??
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Hi Andrew...

In answer to this....

3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

have longer than eveyone else to practice their piece.
    less time than us to get their pieces worked up.

Yeah it's REALLY unfair that! :shock:
  4. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

It really doesn't work like that, you just start rehearsing for the areas later, and still end up bored of the piece on the day. :wink: The hotels thing can actually be a real problem, I've heard tales of bands speculatively booking hotels for the finals before they've played the areas! And then there's the bit where everyone else has had their contest and seems to lose interest - even 4BR didn't report with the same enthusiasm as they did for the Yorkshire region.

Last year our area was weeks after everyone elses, at least we're in the same month this time. I think I saw a rumour that next year we're going to be even earlier so it may stop being a problem soon.
  5. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Thats exactly right. Plus we have a contest next week that we are currently practising for. So it isnt the fact of having more time to practise is it?
  6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Notification on the same date + Contest later than others = More Time.

What you choose to do with that time is up to you.
  7. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

although the topic was about the time we have left to book the hotels. hmm
  8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

returning thereunto....
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The keen bands that have Areas later on have the advantage of being able to analyse the earlier Area results and get some idea of what the Judges are looking for - plus - they can attend the other contests and listen for interesting interpretations, or "Tweaks" that may have found favour with the Judge.
    We, in Yorkshire, have to walk out on stage and "Chance our arm " !!!!

If you recall Passacaglia, there were two ways of performing this - heavy and majestic, or light and flowing.
    ALL the judges (inc. 4barsr) went for light and flowing. If you played the majestic version you came nowhere and were slagged off as "Unmusical".
    If my band had known this, by having the opportunity to attend a few earlier Areas, I'm sure we would have reconsidered our approach to the music before our own Area date.
    Hindsight is a perfect science eh what ??
  10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

There really shouldn't be a problem finding hotels in Harrogate at that time of year. It is well outside of conference season (which is why the finals are being held in the Conference Centre).

I won't pretend that they are cheap...

11. Dan

Dan Member

Yes that is very true. My first reaction to this post is that the later your Area, the more time to rehearse.

Only thing is that all the other bands you are competing against also have the same 'advantage' of extra rehearsal time and being able to analyse earlier Area results.

Good Luck to everyone for their Area :)
  12. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Worst comes to the worst, Harrogate Band might always rent out space in their bandroom. Supply your own sleeping bags! :lol:

13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Don't be silly, that will be in constant use by bands hiring our dedicated reheasal facilities...

But there are some nice 'comfy' shelves in our store room which might be made available to the right bidder.

14. skweeky

skweeky Member

i will agree that it must be harder to look for an already fully booked hotel for the finals. Its just the luck of the draw. Maybe the kind people that organise this can have the dates on a rotar system - this meaning that the edge is given to different regions each year?
  15. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

For that to happen we would have to have consistency with our have more faith in some of these chaps than I do!
    As for "chancing your arm" just be the best band on the day and pray, you have a half sensible man in the box.
    Ian Heard.
  16. Jezzabell

Jezzabell Member

I agree wif AJ! finding a hotel for the finals can cause the band more headaches than wot the test peice does! And I think that having our area last does give us slightly more time 2 practice, but i know even if our area was first we wouldn't spend anymore than 3 weeks on the peice because it would become 2 boring!
  17. skweeky

skweeky Member

saying that you have more time to practise isnt strictly true:

even though your area maybe last you are only trying to beat other bands in your area so you all have the same time (in that area). So really it doesnt matter - just the quality of the bands performances should be better in the later areas.
  18. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

....talking of the area contest, we have 3 or 4 players ill at the moment and the contest is on sunday, doh! :cry:
  19. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

hope they all feel better by the weekend and that you do well, good luck to all competing this weekend
  20. Ginge

Ginge Member

Hmm... interesting topic. Different opinions!

I can't really say what it's like to book a hotel, as for one thing, we've never qualified :cry: And secondly, i would not have any involvement in booking a hotel.

If this is a problem though, then could they not just change the order of area contests each year?

I have to say, the South West area has always been last. Well, for the last 5-6 years it has anyway.