Area contest rules

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MoominDave, Mar 11, 2008.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Anyone know where these have got to? Kapitol's website seems to be in a mess at the moment, and merely says that they are undergoing revision, and will be posted back up soon.

Which is not very helpful when I want to check a point!
  2. postie

postie Member

I have got a copy of the rules for this year. If you want to send me a P.M. and let me know what problem you have got and I can have a look for you.
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

4. Blossom

Blossom Member

Your band sec. or contest sec. should have a copy of the rules, ask to look at them
  5. MoominDave

My question isn't particularly confidential, so I'll just post it here...

Under the list of allowed instruments, what is the exact phrasing used to describe the trombones?

6. Accidental

off the top of my head, I don't think its specific (like the tubas - which is why bands aren't penalised for playing four EEb). If noone else gets back to you first, I'll check when I get home.
  7. MoominDave

That's what I think - but I'd like to be sure.
  8. Blossom

Blossom Member

Brass instruments shall be from the following lists ..........Slide Trombones
  9. MoominDave

Excellent, thank you.
  10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

You can still use a G trom if that's what you're thinking;)
  11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Bit of a late decision, Dave!!
  12. Accidental

As a matter of interest, the full list is
    Eb Soprano Cornet, Bb Cornet, Bb Flugel Horn, Eb Tenor horn, Bb Baritone, Bb Euphonium, Slide Trombones, Eb and EEb Bass, Bb and BBb Bass.

So technically, a band could turn up without any cornets, or 25 different trombones (but god knows why they'd want to! ;) ).
  13. MoominDave

Still not convinced that I'm not going to get overruled before Sunday!

But for reference - two Bach 36s and a symphonic bore G/D bass do work rather nicely as a section on this piece with the rest of the instruments of modern band size.
  14. MoominDave

Am I so obvious? ;)
  15. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I didn't think for one minute you'd want to use valve trombones;)
  16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

24 too many... ;)
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

At least that means you'd have one...............;)
  18. MoominDave

My girlfriend is playing for the Chicago Brass Band this year. Their tuba section plays on 4 instruments in CC. Does that mean that they would be ineligible to compete in the Open if they were invited, or does the Open work on different rules?

Trying to recall what tubas the bass section of the Illinois Brass Band used when they played at the Open, but failing...
  19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

As far as I'm aware, yes, unless they receive specific dispensation from the organisers.

It's the same rule that stops us using CC or F tubas, or rotation valve instruments of any pitch.

Seems a bit of a luddite attitude to me. I can understand the whole pitch argument, bands having traditionally used Eb and Bb instruments for a very long time, but I've never understood why rotation valves are outlawed, when they've a few advantages over piston valves.

Then again, maybe that's precisely why!!
  20. MoominDave

It doesn't mention rotary valves anywhere in that list of instruments. I think one reason that traditional rotaries haven't caught on amongst valved brass band players is that they're a bit ponderous when you need to run around.

Rotary valves are already used in contests by hundreds, if not thousands, of band trombone players, so I see no problem with other instruments using them. Maybe more recent designs (for example, the short throw 'Lindberg' rotary valve) would be less cumbersome in fast passages.

This raises another question - the rules say "slide trombone", mentioning nothing about valves. But, as I mentioned, many band trombonists play on instruments with either 1 or 2 left-hand valves. A Holton "Superbone" has 3 or 4 LH valves plus the usual slide. Would one of these be allowed? You can do anything on one of these that you can do on a valve trombone - indeed, you can simply put the slide lock on, and play it as a valve trombone.
    How do we distinguish between slide instruments with valves which merely facilitate the low register and combined slide/valve instruments which have no need of the slide at all?