Area Contest Banners

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ryan_Littleport, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Our band was just wondering why L&SC area winners and runner-ups did not receive a banner for our achievements this year. We know that the Midlands bands did. Does anyone know if our area is the only one to not award them? Either way, does anyone know why?
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

L&SC didn't award them last year either. Reasons of cost, I believe ...
  3. debs66

debs66 Member

We finished second in the 4th Section at the Midland Area and we didn't receive a banner! Will have to follow that up..........:confused:

4. but GUS got one for finishing 2nd in the Champ section.

We are concidering getting one made; Something to hang on a stand to the side of the stage during concerts to help promote our achievements. It seems a little unfair that only top section bands get one or that only certain areas give them out.
  5. debs66

debs66 Member

I agree. If my memory serves me right, we all pay the same entry fee and receive the same prize money (eventually - we're still waiting.)

So why does this happen? Any ideas anyone??
  6. weenie

weenie Member

No idea, seems rather odd though. I noticed the Championship bands didn't receive one for playing at the London finals last year. I can only imagine this being down to lack of money?
  7. We've been in the 4th section prizes in Wales for the last 3 years (winning twice and coming 2nd once) and have never received banners for this. Don't think the other sections in Wales received them either and incidently 2008 was the first year (that I know of) that there have been best instrumentalist prizes in Wales.
  8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Verwood got a banner from West of England area and it looks rather nice hanging in the band room next to a couple of others!!!
  9. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I'm pretty sure Yorkshire don't have them, i can't remember us getting one for coming 2nd in the 4th this year.
  10. Blossom

Blossom Member

I think it's the individual regions choice whether they present banners or not and from observation I think the regions that do only give a banner to the section winners.

Yorkshire don't give banners but they give the winner, second and third in each section a commemorative shield to keep besides the official trophy which is kept for just one year.
  11. It's a shame that bands invited to the finals don't get a banner. It reminds players of a great achievement and hopefully give the players pride. When I visit a band room with trophies and banners up, put bluntly, it looks good.
  12. From what I remember, every competing band got one at the North West this year.
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Think you're right. I don't recall seeing them ever being given out.
  14. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

When I competed in the Midlands Area, the winning band, and I think the 2nd placed band, always got a royal blue silk (ish!) banner with yellow writing on it. As far as I am aware, the Midlands Area is one of only two areas to give out banners. It's a shame that all the areas don't do this because they are really eye catching and look great in the band room!
  15. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

West of England give them out to 1st, 2nd & 3rd in each section. No best soloist prizes though.
  16. weenie

weenie Member

Couldn't agree more, plus it instills pride in the players and HOPEFULLY makes them hungry for more success!

By the way, we have a large shield for sale if anybody wants it.........any offers?
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  17. What makes it particularly odd is that we have one hanging in our bandroom, "1997 3rd Section LSC Champions" but nothing for this year's win. We don't really want to add "& 2008" to it in tipex. :)
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

When we didn't get one last year for 2nd Section champions, our band sec was so peeved that our principal cornet took pity on him and went out and had one made, and presented it to him. Do you want me to find out where he got it from?
  19. We would like one, similar to the 1997 one. We are looking into getting one as the LSC guys are unlikely to make an exception for us. Any info regarding where you can get them made and for how much would be appreciated, thanks.
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

yes i know we have got the 2007 Midland Area 1st Section Champions in ours:clap: :clap: :biggrin: :tup :woo