Area adjudicators.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lewis, Jan 10, 2005.

1. lewis

lewis Member

Aside from the arguments about having two adjudicators at the areas I wanted to see what other people think about this.

London & Southern Counties have announced that David Read will be the Championship section adjudicator in March. This means, as he is also adjudicating in Scotland, that this is the 4th year in a row where London have had an adjudicator that will have already been involved in another area at the Regionals. I have a couple of problems with this, the first is very simple!

Are there really not enough experienced people around to have seperate adjudicators at 7 different regionals? I'm sure the answer to this is no. Why why why do we haveto see the same faces in the box? I completely agree with the fact that the likes of David Read and Roy Roe and Geoffrey Whittham are all incredibly experienced men but there are other people. What about the dozens of brass players that have come through the brass band scene and now hold seats with professional orchestras up and down the country? Eric Crees was used at the Masters but because he had a different opinions to certain other adjudicators his name has dissapeared from all boxes.

My second gripe is that having an adjudicator at more than one contest for the regionals means that he has already shown exactly what he is looking for from the performance. This surely can only lead to bands being able to then prepare their performances to mirror image an already winning performance!
    This takes away any musicality from the performance, I could agree with listening to a performance to get ideas from other musicians but the idea of trying to play a piece the same way as another band is ridiculous. We hear over and over again that the brass band movement needs to move forward yet we seem scared to do anything about this and are more interested in making sure we can do whatever we can to win a contest, regardless of what it might do to the music.

Sorry to rant but now that we (London) are in our 4th year of 2nd hand adjudicators I thought I might express my feelings.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Read
    Championship
    Regionals
    Eric Crees
    Southern Counties
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip...I'll have to head up to Scotland to help our band get the edge over your ;) (just kidding)

Seriously, though...as far as your first point goes...I think it is more important to get more, new people adjudicating at the smaller contests so that the best adjudicators can be selected for the areas. Much like referees must move up from lower division football to higher levels.

The second point is good and bad. It is nice to have musical freedom and it is also nice to know what to expect from your adjudicator, but it seems too bad to have bands change their approach just to suit a judge.

Ideally, shouldn't all the areas be the same weekend (like they do with the last match of the round robin in the world cup?) Then no band would really have a distinct advantage in book hotels for the nationals.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Although not a top section player, I can only say that in my experience, bands trying to produce a performance, 'for the adjudicator' (or what they PERCEIVE as the adjudicators' likely way of thinking) normally end up coming a cropper big time. Then the blame all goes on the adjudicator who 'must have been deaf' etc. etc. Anyway, any adjudicator worth their salt will have the musical minds open to more than one interpretation of a piece.

5. lewis

lewis Member

You'd think so wouldn't you? But maybe it's not too harsh to say we're talking about adjudicators not rational people.

Agreed, knowing what the adjudicator is listening for could be nice but having a peformance that he has put first and to copy it is , in my opinion, wrong.

And trust I do know of more than one conductor that has, in previous years, got hold of winning performances from doyen prior to their contest.

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I guess, Lewis, that you won't be wearing that 'I love my adjudicators'' T-shirt at Stevenage, then... :) :)