Area 2011

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tromwinst, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Ares Test Piece 2011

Looking in the Bandsman this week for the publishers of the test pieces I see that the test piece for the 1st section is published by Studio Music. We already have this piece in our library but wonder if it is the same because it was published by R Smith & Co Ltd. Do you think that will be the same or has it been republished with alterations from the one which we have?

Chris Wilson
    Secretary
    Stannington Brass Band

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Thought I would have a look at the bass trom part.

My god, if you think this is a 'cack bass trom part' think yourself lucky you did'nt get promoted a year earlier and have the dubious pleasure of playing bass trom for Moorside !!!

It's not that bad a part, at least I can blow more than an mf this year.

Also far more a test for the rest of the band from the look of things.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm interested to hear from you what you would like to play? :confused:

4. stevetrom

I'd 'like' to play Partitia (Sparke), Contest Music or even On the Shoulders of Giants - I doubt any will be selected for the 1st section in the near future.

I did'nt enjoy rehearsing Moorside Suite as there was little, or no difference I could make to the performance as the bass trom part is virtually non-existent. From first viewing there appears more for me to do in Carnival Romaine so , hopefully, I can have a positive affect on my bands performance. I can only play the part I am given.

Why do you ask?

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Curious to find out what type of pieces you prefer taking on.

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think you underestimate the significance of the trombone writing in "Moorside"; after all, it still has to be played properly, and over the years I've heard plenty of performances of the piece where the Bass trombone has had a distinctly negative effect on the band's performance ...

7. stevetrom

banding (for me) is a hobby, something I do because I enjoy it.

I did'nt enjoy playing the bass trom part for Moorside suite as I had very little to play, and what I had to play I did not find particularly interesting or challenging.

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I can't argue with any of that, because that's your personal veiwpoint. What I'm questioning is your apparent belief that you can't make a contribution (positive or negative) to the overall performance just because of the relative sparseness of the trombone writing.

9. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

i've noticed that a significant minority of first section players are never happy unless given a part full of technical challenges that they won't ever be able to play well (and of course, won't practice). maybe some of their bands spend too much time massacring "classic top section" pieces and not enough time perfecting real musical performances at a suitable level? maybe most of them think of themselves as top section players having a brief timeout? i don't know.

go to any first section own choice contest and see what i mean.

10. stevetrom

lol