Area 2011

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tromwinst, Jun 29, 2010.

1. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Quite Agree

Very unimaginative selections

2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

To be fair they have picked a number of new/unused works over the last few years.

That said Carnival Romain is really a concert piece and should stay that way.

Paganini is a great piece, but if it had to be Wilby surely Masquerade would've been a better choice.

3. bvincen9

bvincen9 Member

Une Vie De Matlot would do me for the 2nd section.....but its not ......An Eric Ball piece I believe oops!!!!

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... not sure many 2nd section sop players would agree with you ... :eek:

5. Kjata

Kjata Member

2nd section??? :eek::eek:
    Do you want a massacre in the 2nd section? :tongue:

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oh goody, another Wright triplet-fest. I had enough of that for one year with Leroy Dies in the spring... :(

(did I mention I don't like Berlioz?)

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Actually, just had a listen to it; didn't hear any triple-tonguing at all ... ???

8. flash harry

flash harry Member

Kjata:

Am I correct in thinking that your post was meant in jest?

9. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

We had a blow through of Carnival as well!!! As a Bb bass player ive got to say YUK! and the Eb part has some love NOT bits too!!! All goes at bit of a romp,not much to really enjoy,such a shame!!!

10. astreet83

astreet83 Member

That would of being a good test but played it before at Blackpool many moons ago (1st sec I think)

11. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

some fairly big first section numbers in some regions thats probably come into the thought process

12. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

We know that you live in Oxford Dave, but have you digested their 'English Dictionary' for breakfast?:wink:
    I enjoy your posts but sometimes miss your agenda, (I hope!)
    No matter what pieces are announced - or who scribed the original scores, we will always have criticism of the choosing committee - and those that will always 'know better'.
    As a supporter of the 'populist' group (those that enjoy a wide range of acknowledged greats, and prefer a piece to be enjoyed for it's recognisable themes, 'tunes' and challenges), I would say that there is an absolute plethora of rarely used classics that would still challenge the best in the land.
    We will never please all of the people, all of the time.
    (Music historian by any chance?)

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Haha... No! Just a keen amateur who likes to pay attention.

14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Agenda? :lol: I seriously doubt he has one....... he's just really clever. And yes he actually talks like that too (sometimes).

Meticulousness personified! ;)

15. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

This explains much.....God help us

16. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

To my knowledge, David Horsfield isn't, and never has been, on the choosing panel and it's disappointing that, by using the phrase Nice job if you can get it!, you appear to have answered your own question, albeit incorrectly.

It's also disappointing that you have decided to mention David's name in this context at all.

Perhaps when you have the opportunity for another quick glance through the internet archives, you could give us a 'league table' of test piece publishers since 2005.

17. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Why?

Surely,they wouldn't select a piece just because it takes 9 minutes to play?

18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Good point, it never takes that long to decide what level a band is. Contests are lacking the red 'X'. Introduce that, then we can all get to the pub at a reasonable hour......

19. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

You would hope not wouldn't you! but in the Midlands and L&SC there are usually large numbers which need considered choices.

RAH finals appears to do it.................................

20. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

With so much experience, you would think that they could publish a national test piece without 8 pages of erratta, or is it job done when assigned?