Are you playing on Christmas morning?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Forest Gump, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Are you out playing on Christmas morning, is it dying out. Just from talking to other bandsmen it seem not many bands do anymore. My band (Berry hill) do, what about yours.
  2. Big Ste

Big Ste New Member

Holymoorside will be out rain or shine on Christmas morning from 10:30, as we always have done.

I don't think Christmas morning would be the same if we didn't go out.
  3. Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Yes Stannington Brass Band will be out bright and early (like 9.30am) on both Christmas Day and Boxing Day going round Stannington playing both local and traditional carols.

It is a beautiful atmosphere where people just come out and donate without having to knock on their doors and to be made feel that you are helping them enjoy the Christmas spirit. I must admit that at some of the places we play at welcome drink is awaiting us.

Have a lovely Christmas.

Chris Wilson
    Secretary to the Band

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
  4. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

We have Christmas day off! Our MD Told Me Today Overall Everyone Who Has Done All The Caroling We Have Done 27 1/2 Hrs!

And As A BBb Bass Player! My Bk Hurts And I Am Really Not That Bothered That Today Was My Last Time i Ever Played 114 to 140 In The Back Of My Hymn Book For This Yr! lol
    I Would Like To play Christmas Day Though! Hope Bands Still Do It! I No One Band Is Cornwall Does It!

Edit - As you're not out playing Carols, perhaps you could practice typing without using a capital letter for every word! It really makes the post difficult to read. (RT)
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  5. bbg

bbg Member

No Christmas Day playing for our band - our last engagement is this evening, at the Family Carol service the North Church in Perth. I am an elder at this church, my son (our band's principal percussionist) plays in the praise band whilst two other members of the band are attenders also. The band's involvement started as a wee favour to me five years ago, and it has become an integral part of both church and band programming, enjoyed by all. Hven't played on Christmas Day since Falkirk SA days in early 80s when we visted the local hospital. Hats off to all bands who continue to go "out and about" on the big day - have a great time, one and all.
  6. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Aldbourne Band have the tradition of playing very early in the morning from the village church tower I believe. Good on em!
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

My local band Banks Brass will be round as usual, and I believe some of our hardy souls intend to be round Eccleston also.
  8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I know a few who do but, luckily for me as i play in too many bands, none are playing tomorrow. That means i can stay at home all day, open presents, and eat all the food (Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Used to do it, Every Christmas Morning on BBC Radio Birmingham and then on to a Hospital afterwards, Christmas wasn't the same when we stopped.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm not out myself this year due to family commitments, but a party of Hadleigh bandsmen will be at Basildon Hospital as usual tomorrow morning. It's always a good day, and much appreciated by both staff and patients.
  11. 1alexm

1alexm Member

I have been playing christmas carols everyday for about 2 weeks and a few days straight. Am I playing carols on christmas day?
    Hohohohoho.... NO!
    I'll be too busy playing on my new nintendo wii hehe.

Merry Christmas to all.
  12. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Not this year, I've got a year off. I'm in Singapore visiting family!
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i did some playing earlier in the month
  14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Really? and it wasn't even xmas day?
  15. debs66

debs66 Member

Used to with my first band, as 4th Man Down will testify. Best morning of the year!!!!!
  16. sunshine

sunshine Member

My band has never done Christmas day, but we used to do New Year's Day. That was interesting as most people said they were availiable - i.e. had no prior commitments, though when it came to the actual day, there were many phone calls all from people not feeling too well !!! And others just didn't turn up without warning!! The last year we did play New Year's day we had about 7 players - of which 2 could focus on the music!!

Nowadays we spend new year's day sitting in the lounge of the band club drinking, eating and enjoying ourselves. What a day!!!
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

In Ian's mind its Christmas every day of the year!! ;)

Didn't play on Christmas Day, but did our usual trawl around the streets near the bandroom this morning. I'm probably the only person to see this, but I do think its quite ironic that we annoy the "neighbours" 51 weeks of the year by practicing were we do, then wake them up on Boxing Day and expect them to give us money so we can carry on!

I have to say also the group that goes out on Boxing Day gets less and less like "Wigston Band" and more like "former members of Wigston Band who are a bit short of things to do / don't have any cash to spend in the sales / are just here because they've always done it / are maybe slightly unhinged". I'm more than happy for the help - in fact I think its fantastic that people who don't play for Wigston anymore still have enough affection for the band to give up their Boxing Day morning to go out and collect money for the cause, but I do worry that we [seemingly] can't get any of our current members to play.
  18. brownrob

brownrob Member

Im not in the Salvos(though I am a Christian!), but I was asked to help out on Christmas Morning in the local hospital

Very very rewarding, lots of players from the local bands came as there are only 5 in the SA band. It felt like Band Aid :D I was so Bono! :D we were in the maternity unit and the smiles on the new mothers faces was great, and it was the first good music the babies ever heard! :D
  19. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

4 Members of the family formed a quartet on Christmas day evening, Solo Cornet, Horn, Euphonium and Trombone. Played outside of my house, it went down a storm with the family and surrounding houses. Had to repeat the performance by demand on Boxing day ourside of my neice's house. really appreciated by all.