Are you Happy with your band??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by waynefiler, Apr 1, 2007.

?

Are you happy with your band?

1. Yes, of course I am, don't be silly!

58 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. No, Not really

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Yeh but no but yeh but no but!

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I've been with my band since january and albeit a good band (when every one is there) with some very good players and some not so.

I'm starting to feel a bit off with how things are going. Every rehearsal i come out feeling that we haven't really achieved anything, well except the last few practices leading to the areas. It feels like to me that we are always stopping for the same people, for really basic mistakes (production, wrong notes and intonation) and it's starting to ge me down.

I travel a long way to get to band though it's not a problem, in this area you have to drive to get to a decent band, it's just that i'm starting to think why do I bother. Driving a 80 mile round trip to go to a band that averages 12 people blowing. The music we play is good but rarely sounds decnt due to lack of players, Is it too much to ask to have a fullish attendance at rehearsals?

I love banding, it's my job, I blow all day then happily go out when I know i'm knackered and blow more, I love to play it's my life and I need a band.

I find it difficult finding a new band as where ever I go my son (a percusionist) has to go too, it's a condition that my wife lets me go to band.

I have no qualms joining a new band if the right one came up or staying in the one i'm at, I'm just interested in what peoples thoughts are of their own experiences.

Ta
    IOT, HM!!!

2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

This is a weird thread. Are you sort-of announcing your resignation (very publicly) from your current band????

Having said that, I voted Yes in the poll. This is my 14th year with Gresley and I consider the band as family. Can't imagine leaving them to be honest although after the Area win I await Grimethorpe calling me to the solo Eb spot!:biggrin:

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Someone had better let Shaun know you're coming ;)

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I love going to band and depping for other bands or I wouldn't do it.

My current band is fantastic because we have a laugh, we are all good musicians and led well. I travel 102 mile round trip but it's worth it. This is very different from my last band where it became quite the opposite, I had just out grown the band and as you say it's difficult when the majority of the band struggle.

I guess you should try and find another band or offer to help do sectionals or teach weaker players? It is the seat your sat on? Have you tried travelling west of where you are instead of north? or what about bands in Hull?

5. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

The Best Thing To Do Is Leave As Soon As Possible,you Are Wasting Your Time And Money, I Recently Left A Championship Section Band Which Was Like Rent A Band,and Signed With A Fourth Section Band Which Is Being Promoted To Section 2 Next Year, I Can T Believe You Travel So Far To Play With Half A Band, I Would Be Charging Them At Least Fifty Quid A Practice.

6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

No doubt he is quaking in his boots :D

7. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

yes i admit this is a very strange thread, got things up in my head just need peoples views thats all.

and NO this is NOT a resignation, I like the band i'm in. They're a great bunch of people, i'm just getting frustrated. I enjoy playing front row, although i've just got the flugal bug and wish i played it, but it's someone elses chair and wont rock the boat. Travelling south always feels further to go than it does north although i've not ruled it out.

Just realised, this is probably one of the worst threads out there isn't it??
    nobody, realistically is going to say they don't like their band are they??

Teaching weaker players is out the question as I don't know enough about the instruments in question.

And mad dude, I love going to band and wouldn't do it if i didn't enjoy it enough!

8. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Stuart, £50 a practice is a bit steep! you mentioned "rent-a-band" my last band was a bit like that too, but sadly it is no more. I don't normally charge bands for my services, I'd prefer a thank you and a beer over money.

9. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I Agree Fifty Quid Is A Bit Steep, But I Recently Played With A Band And Charged Them 200 Quid And Two Nights In The Bradford Hilton, For The Yorkshire Area,i Felt A Bit Guilty Till I Found Out The Band Had Paid Another Player A Grand For 2 Practices And The Contest, If A Band Can Throw Money Away Like This,then They Can Throw Some My Way.

10. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Pass my name on will you!!! lol
    Could do with the money

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    new band
    good band
    decent band
    good players
    production
  12. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

WE CAN ALWAYS FIT YOU IN AT DODWORTH (yorks 4th and now 3 rd section champions) we need front row and timps,and we all pay subs, if you join we will forget about the subs.

13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Probably not, especially on a forum like this, but there must be lots of people who, for similar reasons, will be in the same boat as you. If a discussion on this topic helps you or others like you, then tMP has served its purpose.

;)

14. barrytone

barrytone Member

We all go through bad spells with the bands we play with but when you get to a point where you don't want to go to band and don't enjoy playing anymore, then it's time to move on.

I have just joined a new band, been there less than three months, and really enjoyed the work we did to the areas. This is nothing to do with this thread but it really goes against the amateur nature of our hobby that players are receiving payment for playing in bands, especially when other band members are raising those funds by doing concerts etc.

We're short of several players at the moment and very few players will help out without being paid, not talking about expenses but charging for your services. I very rarely charge but if I do it only covers the cost of transport to and from the event.

Sorry to go off topic but the subject was raised by another tmp'er in this thread before me.

15. ebass.com

ebass.com New Member

I think every band is having a rough time of it the now. Even in my band I get frustrated that we can't get the seats filled and it's not due to not advertising for new members, we are in the local paper every week (near enough) and each member has business cards which are given out.

But I think the problem really lays with the Brass Tutors in the surrounding schools who to me are not incouraging the kids to join their local bands, in West Lothian anyway. The Brass Tutors to me are more intent on getting them in county band. I can recall one instance, one of the kids in our training band was ask to join the county band but was told by their Tutor that they would have to leave our band., neither to say they stayed with us and have came on leaps and bounce in the senior band.

Sorry to go on a wee bit but hearing that kids are being put off winds me up.

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Yep I''m delighted to be associated with my gang, I have a great time in rehearsal, enjoy concerts and contests and count every single person there as a good freind!

17. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

thanks for the very kind offer but feel that dodworth is a bit far to travel to a band. It would be doubling my travelling distance and time, money and petrol in the process.

Thanks again though.

Wayne

18. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

A Lot Of Bands Are In Trouble Due To A Lack Of Players, The Fact Is There Are Too Many Bands And Not Enough Players, I Know Several Bands Who Are Really Only Half A Band, They Keep Plodding On Hoping That Things Will Improve.. In Most Cases They Don T.it May Be Cruel But Some Of These Bands Should Just Call It A Day And Wrap Up,the Surviving Bands Would Then Benefit From The Extra Players Available.

19. ebass.com

ebass.com New Member

I know I will probably get shot down in flames for agreeing with you Stuart. In West Lothian alone there are a few bands near our town that I would say are in that category and these bands don't even contest.

20. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Sometimes Bands Have Amalgamated And Formed One Good Band Out Of Two Bad Ones,this Is The Only Sensible Solution, But This Does Not Happen Very Often.i Can T See The Point In Trying To Hold A Band Together With 12 Players,having To Beg And Borrow For Each Engagement And Not Having A Band To Enter The Area Contests.

Edit: Hi Stuart, sorry to edit your post but can I suggest that you refrain from using Capital letters on every word! It makes reading your posts very, very difficult.

Thank you - Roger (Admin)

21. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

It was my last band who had to buy players in, not my current band! We've got a full band just seems to struggle getting everyone there at the same time.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    new band
    good band
    decent band
    good players
    production