Are you any good at spelling?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Sep 4, 2004.

Are you a good speller...(honestly!)

1. Yes - i'm practically a walking dictionary

39 vote(s)
  2. No - Mee am kno gud att speeling

15 vote(s)
  1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

After seeing something on the news the other day, i'm just wondering how many tmpers are actually good spellers. In a little test they did on Look North only 1 out of 10 people could spell all the words correctly on the test.

Personally i'm a totally shocking at spelling's, always used to get detentions for getting really low marks in tests at school (probably had something to do with me not learning the words like ;))
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

No :biggrin: ;)
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I can spell any word I can pronounce - even in foreign :)
  4. Naomi McFadyen

thats impressive! I'll have to test you one day..... when we eventually meet! :)

edit: just a thought.... if I said that, it wouldnt be many words...... so it may not be impressive after-all! :lol: ;-)
  5. mikelyons

When I was little my aunty used to make me sit with a dictionary and write out all the words and their definitions. She was trying to improve my hand writing and failed miserably. However, a side-effect was that by the age of 7 I had a reading age of 21.
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Very cool! :)

(i did just put cool but the message was too short! :lol: )
  7. mikelyons

S'OK I prefer fulsome praise to faint praise any day :)
  8. Heather

Heather Member

When I was at HIgh School I won a spelling contest where everyone in the school took part.
    I came out on top and got a £50 book voucher, cup and an article in the local newspaper!!
  9. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

when i was 8 i had a reading age of around 16,
    and my spelling is better than what you normally see from me, i think mine is because, being a twin, i used to want to do better than my twin brother, and i always did do better. also i dont really remember having to actually try very hard with spellings, i think it kinda came naturally, i think i was just good at my spellings. and i always wondered how people managed to spell things wrong when i could spell them easily.

also i think with my reading age being as high as it was then, i was used to seeing how words were spelt, and memorised it unconsiously (ok i dont know how you spell that word)
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  10. Jezzabell

Jezzabell Member

Nope cant spell at all!
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

When I was 3 I had a reading age of 27... or maybe not... anyway, I can spell, but whenever I spell something wrong, it's simply because I'm foreign...
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Don't you know it's a proven fact that all good engineers are rubish spelerz;)
  13. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

i was never an awful speller at school, but i cant spell things out aloud, i have to write them down.

its getting late and my spellings are still quite terrific!!
    k x
  14. mikelyons

There you go! You can learn this one now - another c after the first s, like science :)
  15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Nufink rong wiht my smelliong.

me tiepin is pritty good two:p
  16. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

:rolleyes: super sop
  17. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

It's not just spelling that seems to be getting worse but I notice a lot of grammatical errors as well. Now, call me a fussy old f**t (and many people do!) but I really hate seeing things like "your always correcting me" instead of "you're always correcting me" and using there and their in the wrong context.

Anyway, rant over - Fussy old f**t going away now!
  18. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

GGGRRRRR! Don't start me off! Pet hates - definately, and - grammatically- could of, should of, and I think I'm repeating myself from a thread of last year -SORRY.
    Right - I'm off to boil my head now.
  19. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Couldn't agree more. And of course that dammned apostrophe....
    We once saw a menu in Cornwall which stated that the menu "chang'es every day"
    I don't care if I am a BOC, grammar is important!
  20. louise0502

louise0502 Member

When I started secondary school, my reading age was 15 and on entering college now, it's reached the grand old age of... 15 (still)!