Are you any good at spelling?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Sep 4, 2004.

?

Are you a good speller...(honestly!)

1. Yes - i'm practically a walking dictionary

39 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. No - Mee am kno gud att speeling

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

After seeing something on the news the other day, i'm just wondering how many tmpers are actually good spellers. In a little test they did on Look North only 1 out of 10 people could spell all the words correctly on the test.

Personally i'm a totally shocking at spelling's, always used to get detentions for getting really low marks in tests at school (probably had something to do with me not learning the words like ;))

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    spellers
    good
    test
    marks
    Look North
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

No :biggrin: ;)

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I can spell any word I can pronounce - even in foreign :)

5. Naomi McFadyen

thats impressive! I'll have to test you one day..... when we eventually meet! :)

edit: just a thought.... if I said that, it wouldnt be many words...... so it may not be impressive after-all! :lol: ;-)

6. mikelyons

When I was little my aunty used to make me sit with a dictionary and write out all the words and their definitions. She was trying to improve my hand writing and failed miserably. However, a side-effect was that by the age of 7 I had a reading age of 21.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Very cool! :)

(i did just put cool but the message was too short! :lol: )

8. mikelyons

S'OK I prefer fulsome praise to faint praise any day :)

9. Heather

Heather Member

When I was at HIgh School I won a spelling contest where everyone in the school took part.
    I came out on top and got a £50 book voucher, cup and an article in the local newspaper!!

10. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

when i was 8 i had a reading age of around 16,
    and my spelling is better than what you normally see from me, i think mine is because, being a twin, i used to want to do better than my twin brother, and i always did do better. also i dont really remember having to actually try very hard with spellings, i think it kinda came naturally, i think i was just good at my spellings. and i always wondered how people managed to spell things wrong when i could spell them easily.

also i think with my reading age being as high as it was then, i was used to seeing how words were spelt, and memorised it unconsiously (ok i dont know how you spell that word)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  11. Jezzabell

Jezzabell Member

Nope cant spell at all!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    spellers
    good
    test
    marks
    Look North
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

When I was 3 I had a reading age of 27... or maybe not... anyway, I can spell, but whenever I spell something wrong, it's simply because I'm foreign...

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Don't you know it's a proven fact that all good engineers are rubish spelerz;)

15. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

i was never an awful speller at school, but i cant spell things out aloud, i have to write them down.

its getting late and my spellings are still quite terrific!!
    k x

16. mikelyons

There you go! You can learn this one now - another c after the first s, like science :)

17. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Nufink rong wiht my smelliong.

me tiepin is pritty good two:p

18. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

:rolleyes: super sop

19. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

It's not just spelling that seems to be getting worse but I notice a lot of grammatical errors as well. Now, call me a fussy old f**t (and many people do!) but I really hate seeing things like "your always correcting me" instead of "you're always correcting me" and using there and their in the wrong context.

Anyway, rant over - Fussy old f**t going away now!

20. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

GGGRRRRR! Don't start me off! Pet hates - definately, and - grammatically- could of, should of, and I think I'm repeating myself from a thread of last year -SORRY.
    Right - I'm off to boil my head now.

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Couldn't agree more. And of course that dammned apostrophe....
    We once saw a menu in Cornwall which stated that the menu "chang'es every day"
    I don't care if I am a BOC, grammar is important!
    BMB
    xx

22. louise0502

louise0502 Member

When I started secondary school, my reading age was 15 and on entering college now, it's reached the grand old age of... 15 (still)!