Are We Geeks?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lauradoll, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I was visiting my friend in London last week and was in the local hostelry with her and some friends. She mentioned that I played in a band and the initial reaction wa "Ooh cool, a rock band?". I explained it was a brass band and then was flooded with a barrage of quesions. I was the only bander there and realised from the outside, what I was saying sounded bizarre.

We go to rehearsal twice a week and play sometimes the same piece (for contests) all night or run through the contest programme.

The week before a contest we rehearse nearly every night ("The same piece??").

We wear a uniform to go to contests in and get changed before we play into another uniform ("Like a costume??").

When we have played usually one (or sometimes two) adjudicators (judges) decide who played it best ("What if they get it wrong....!!!!!!")

They were pretty fascinated by the whole "banding" culture that we have but were convinced that "Brassed Off" was true to life. (Hmm!!)

So....have you ever tried to explain banding to people who have no experience or knowledge of it and......are we just a bunch of band geeks??

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band chick
    brass band concert
    deni
    haaaaaaaa
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

I like to think of myself as a 'cool' geek.... :-S

I've given up trying to explain things to people after i was at school/college and people didn't get why i couldn't miss band to go out on a monday or thursday. At the moment th only friends i have who aren't in banding anyway are ones who i went to primary school with and i think they have given up trying to work out why i give up my free time to do it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. This semester at uni I had to give a presentation on something that interested me. I chose Brass Banding in Scotland.

My whole class thinks I'm nuts and the strange looks I got were unreal, including my lecturer.
    They believe its old fashioned and therefore for the older generation. They didn't expect some 19 year old to love it. My lecturer even commented when I was getting feedback that she thought it was just old people who were involved with them.

They now think I'm a brass band geek and laugh at me when I'm humming pieces or tapping on desks (tapping is being a percussionist though and just becomes a habbit). I'm proud of who I am though so I don't let them get to me. They can slate me however much they like, I'm not going to change :D

I did get an A for my presentation.

So Laura, I can see exactly where you are coming from. You try to explain and they think its all this big act. In a way it is but then the same could be said about football!! Its something we're passionate about and take seriously.

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm way too cool to be a geek.

6. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

I used to get stick at work until I told them I've been around the world playing and it cost me nothing and their faces when I told them I got paid for doing it!!!!!......They didn't believe me until one of the bosses went on the internet and now there is a blown up picture of me in uniform stuck on the canteen wall.....They don't take the **** anymore :)

7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm no geek, geeks are clever people. I consider myself being a village idiot.

8. Bones

Bones Member

Yep, we are geeks. We are all acne riddled, national health spec wearing, anorak owning weirdos.

We catalogue our music collections by band section not genre

We consider other geek art forms as sub human such as bell ringing or stamp collecting, but consider morris dancing to be strangely intriguing mainly due to the beer consumption.

We all wear the same style clothes and get them from the geek boutigue called Handleys

Those of us who have aspired to uber geekdom, go on YABB tours, where we are neither Young nor Ambassadors.

We love playing but oddly hate listening to bands.

We are never more happy than when we are being negative about others

We meet periodically throughout the year at our geek conventions aptly called contests.

Everyone in Brass Banding is a friend of yours, even though you have only spoken to them twice.

You are willing to share a room on tour with a perfect stranger. Be honest would you do this with a work colleague ?

Pontins in Novemeber !!!!!

Butlins in January !!!!

Blackpool anytime of the year !!!!

We get excited about pink plastic mouthpieces.

A pencil holder on our instrument causes great consternation

People with gig bags are cool geeks (I have 4)

We think nothing of dressing up in our bank geek clothing and walking miles in the cold and wet with a cold lump of metal wedged to our faces, when normally we'd jump in the car to go to the corner shop 50 yds away for a pint of milk.

It's ace to be a geek............. Now where did I put my stamp album...........

9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I did something similar in my Final Oral exam in English, I play Tuba but took a cornet in to talk about ( a lot lighter to carry ) I got a good Pass from The Examiner but got some strange looks from the rest of the class.
    That was 1976 and i'm still involved in Bands so there must be something to it, Don't think I'm a Geek though

10. leisa

leisa Active Member

LMAO. Unbelievably true Rich!

P.S Is there really such a thing as a pencil holder for your instrument - where do i get one?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

11. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band chick
    brass band concert
    deni
    haaaaaaaa
  12. Bones

Bones Member

PSSSTTT. I have 2........

13. leisa

leisa Active Member

Can I have one?

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hahaha

15. on_castors

on_castors Member

Totally, and a very insular minority group of geeks at that.

I used to know someone who was a TV Transmitter geek, knew everything about them, visited them, photographed them, tuned in to them, and had a similar internet chat room to talk about it as we have here.... and do you know, I think we are far more geeky than that, as we genearally are FAR more involved in terms of time and money in Bands, than those people are about TV Transmitters!

16. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Of coarse we're geeks! That fact that we visit this site that we love so much on a regular basis surely proves that!

And do we care if we're geeks........NO!!!

.....and i've given up trying to explain it to people too, it's simply not worth the hassle!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  17. Di B

Di B Member

I am a proud geek but work are ok with it! One of my ex managers son is learning cornet and just passed grade 1 and another ex boss is originally from yorkshire and played cornet as a kid. They have asked me how things are going and want to listen to any recordings I have and contribute generously for any fund raising. I also took a work friend with no knowledge of banding to butlins this year.... She loved it and will be going again next year! Convert the world is my motto. Of course the fact I work for a geeky IT Company has nothing to do with it ;-)

18. leisa

leisa Active Member

Oh yes! I forgot. I took a none banding flat mate to Marsden march contest (aren't i kind?!) a couple of years ago and she really enjoyed it and wanted to go back again as well, i think shes the only none bander ive converted though..

19. bbg

bbg Member

Of course I'm a brass band geek........even my user name tells you that!
    Was first formally "accused" of full-blown geekery (geekdom? geekality? geekness? No doubt the Geeks have a word for it?) after answering an e-mail about availability for a band job - from the internet point in my holiday hotel overseas. I regret that I do not however possess any acne, an anorak, nor NHS glasses - maybe some available at a trade stand next contest?
    On another note, the wee timpanist refers to a "semester" at Uni - what, an American university near Annan? Come to think of it, any university near Annan???

20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I am a brass band geek to and proud of it!! My wife of nearly 7 years is converted. She makes the tea!! And does the catering for our concerts to!!! At somem of the places where ive worked, being in healthcare, they just cant wait for the band to come quick enough. Especially at my new job to. My elder brother still thinks of us as oompah bands though, the idiot. Stiil your always going to get some!! Also people have, apart from the igornats, been quite interested to find out mor

Generally, though, i think we need to advertise our movoment more, ceertainly in places where we dont normally go.

21. brut33

brut33 Member

Yes, we are pretty much geeks... BBG Brian is living proof!

As someone said earlier, when my mates start calling me Harold Bishop, or make jokes about "This one time, at band camp"... I remind them that we were in the Bahamas playing in October, straight after Harrogate (Which involved a messy night out in Huddersfield: Rock On), and we are off on tour again this summer for a fortnight of frothy beer and fraulines ;-)

It's great to be a brass band geek!!