Are there too Many Horn players?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jan 4, 2012.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Spent part of my lunch hour looking through the Recruitment threads (yes I have way too much time on my hands) and a couple of things seemed odd:

No adverts at all for Flugel or Tenor Horn - are there too many horn players out there

Proportionally more adverts for bottom end (Bass Trom, EEb & BBb bass) players - why don't more players (maybe some horn players looking for a band) have a go at something a little larger?

discuss...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Horn
    Tenor Horn
    Flugel
    Horn players
    adverts
  3. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

if there is a spare horn player out there reading this.....we'll have one ;)

PS i agree..........i wonder if it's something to do with cost (as suggested on a previous thread) and also portability? Any young Eb or Bb bass player has to reply on lifts everywhere (almost exclusively as they take up the whole boot/car), but a young cornet or horn player can hop on a bus or easily car share.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Being a bass player comes with having a car that can fit one in and space in the house to store one without upsetting the other half!!

5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Don't i know it too......I have changed car and have even moved house to try and accommodate having the bleedin' thing in the past!!

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Because horn players are musicians, unlike trombones and basses. :cool:

7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have recently changed car, just big enough for an EEb, can't fit on a BBb :) and definitely no rrom for a timp :D

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I feel that pain. My other half couldn't fit his tuba in the boot of my Fiesta, so we spend years driving around with it on the back seat. I then buy a Focus which the Eb bass fits in perfectly..... and three months later he moves onto bloomin' baritone!!

9. Puritan

Puritan Member

This Is so Funny, Bass players who claim they take their Instrument home to practice :rolleyes:

10. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Because horn's the easiest instrument in the band ;)

11. JCY

JCY Member

Yes I have wondered why there are never any horn ads - it's actually quite annoying if you're a horn player and want to switch bands!
    But...I'm not sure the size theory holds out as a large number of ads are also for cornets, particularly principal (btw - we need 5 cornets, including a principal so spread the word!)
    While I'm not adverse to the idea of getting my hands on a bigger instrument (oo-er!) I'm not sure it's the answer...
    There are also not many ads for baritones, which might be relevant. I do have a theory - I'll tell you it in the bar at Butlins (it's slightly controversial and I don't want to get loads of **** from it, as often happens on this site!)

see you in Skeggy :)

Joanna

Solo Horn, City of Cambridge Band

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Horn
    Tenor Horn
    Flugel
    Horn players
    adverts
  13. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I have noticed there are alot of horn players around in bands, but I've also noticed at chet's, which is where im studying, we have no tenor horn players, as far as I know anyway, I suppose I only really know people further up the school. Infact strangely enough we have alot of trombone players! are times changing??

14. ratpit

ratpit Member

15. chizzum

chizzum Member

That will be because your studying at an institute that is focused on orchestral brass and not brass band instruments.

16. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

You would think that, but there are a few baritone and euphonium players!

17. StellaJohnson

I think the reason why there tends to be no vacancies for flugal, tenor horn and baritones comes down to the fact you don't need as many to complete a full section compared to cornets and basses.

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

And also because players of these instruments have no other available musical outlets. A fair proportion of trumpet, trombone, tuba and percussion players have no interest in playing in brass bands, but brass bands are all that horn and baritone players have open to them.

19. Daveflug

Daveflug New Member

I would tend to agree with this. Especially in the case of the flugel. Everybody wants to play flugel, because it is such an easy instrument. Its not exactly hard to sound good one, and people who play it all think that they are really good

20. StellaJohnson

Really? Anything is easy if you know how to play or do it well!!

21. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Really?! Someone told me that a really good orchestral trumpet player (think it was the principle of the Liverpool Phil, but don't quote me) said that playing the trumpet should always be hard work.

22. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It doesn't do to get dogmatic about these things