Are there any other Island based bands people here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Donkey Horn, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

I live in Guernsey, the second largest Channel Island. Here there is one non SA brass band, the Guernsey Concert Brass (and its associated youth band), and two diminishing SA bands, namely the L'Islet and St. Peter Port Corps (in the Salvation Army's heyday there used to be three bands in Guernsey, one in Alderney and one in Jersey). The cost of travel makes contesting next to imposible, although the Concert Brass has done at least one 4th section regional and made the odd Whit Friday appearence.

There is however a well funded States of Guernsey (our own government as we are a self governed Crown Dependancy) music service providing tuition to children between 7 & 18, which runs windbands and orchestras on Saturdays.

I would be interested to hear from any other brass players from Island based communities and their banding experiences.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Island
    people
    States of Guernsey
    brass band
    Channel Island
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think most people on tMP live on an Island ;) :D

The most famous one is of course Dave Payn (although he has been very quiet lately!)

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hasn't he just... Dave - where the heck are you???

By the way... a big welcome to you Donkey Horn:)

5. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

Cheers, top site by the way, glad I stumbled across it.

6. picju96

picju96 Member

I'm from Jersey and played with Jersey Premier Brass before coming to university.

7. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Although I now live in Leeds and play with 'The Emley', I'm originally from the Isle of Man. There are, I think, 8 bands currently in existance over there, namely

Douglas Town
    Onchan Silver
    Manx Concert
    Manx Youth
    Ramsey Town
    Rushen Silver
    Castletown Metropolitan
    and I think a Salvation Army band
    Most, if not all the above bands also have learner/junior bands.
    There has also been in the not to distant past Crosby Silver & Laxey Silver.
    Not bad fro a population of only 75,000 ish!

Douglas are 3rd Section and Manx Concert 2nd section, I don't think any of the others contest at the moment.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  8. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I live on an island...............

quite a few bands for a population of 20 million ;)

9. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I live on an island too. A lot fewer people than Fitzy's island - and certainly fewer convicts! BTW Fitzy, what did your forebearers do to get shipped out?

10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

prudhoebass who happens to play Bb bass for our band actually lives on Gozo for 6 months of the year but flies over if we need him. Hows that for a star? :clap:

11. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

Typical, I've just logged back in and find an Google ad for Jersey at the bottom of the screen! Think I might be out of the running for Guernsey Ambassador of the year again. (No offence PicJu96)

By the way greetings to our friends in New Zeland and Australia, quite a few Channel Islanders have relocated there over recent years. By choice I believe.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Island
    people
    States of Guernsey
    brass band
    Channel Island
  13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'm (almost) on the Isle of Dogs - does that count?

14. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

and island of bands people! now thats scary!!!

15. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

Congratulations to Premier Brass for winning their Southern Contest and going on to the finals! Are you still playing with them? If you are, then the best of luck.

16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

whats the isle of dogs?

17. picju96

picju96 Member

Thanks! Nope, not playing with them any more, but was there yesterday, and just as excited about the win as the rest of them! I'll be going to support at Harrogate too - it seems to work for them!