Are the English Areas split by county boundaries?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Aug 8, 2006.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Are the English Areas split by strictly county boundaries?

If they are which counties are in which Area ?

If they are not how is a band allocated to an Area ?

2. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

bands are organised according to where the band room is and the areas are strictly split by county boundaries.... i used to play for whitwell and if our band room would have been a mile ip the road we would prob have gone to 2nd sec under Ken Vernon

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It is true they are quitre strict about borders, but they do not all split according to the County borders, with North Yorkshire bands, for example, competing in the North of England Area to help balance the numbers.

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

But isn't North Yorkshire a county? Thus even though it is a Yorkshire county, the entrie county is in North of England and thus the boundaries are by counties?

5. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire Bands have to play in the North of England Areas, they used to play in Yorkshire Areas at Bradford but Bands forced to move to Darlington.

6. eymsbrassband

eymsbrassband Member

Even before the reorganisation of the Area boundaries in 1993/1994, there were some strange groupings, in that some Lincolnshire based bands competed at the Yorkshire Areas, whilst other Lincolnshire bands played at the Midlands Areas. Those bands in North Yorkshire played in the Northern Area, so not in recent times have all Yorkshire based bands played at the Yorkshire Area.

Since the reorganisation, bands from East & North Yorkshire, North & North East Lincolnshire, County Durham, Cleveland, Teesside, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland and Cumbria, have all competed at the North Of England. Though I think there are still some anomalies, in that a couple of bands from North Yorkshire are still in the Yorkshire Area.

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I don't think that is the case; county boundaries are strictly applied. Skipton Band and South Milford Brass are very close to the West Yorkshire border but are still required to compete in the N of England (though neither are contesting at the moment). Who were you thinking of?

Cheers

D

8. eymsbrassband

eymsbrassband Member

South Milford was one band that I wasn't sure of - I knew that they weren't competing at the North of England Area - but wasn't sure geographically if they were North or West Yorkshire. And I'm not completely sure of banding in the south west of North Yorkshire.

9. MR WMS

MR WMS Member

There was a time when N Wales bands competed in another country,so we had to have registration cards and passports at the ready! Mind you the journey did take less time, even in those days.

10. goosie baby

goosie baby Member

I'm not too sure where you get your details from but as a member of South MIlford Brass Band I can quite honnestly say that we are competing having just won the area for our section in Darlington today and also gaining best Euph and also best solo cornet.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    English Areas
    county boundaries
    counties
    band
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

This thread is almost 2 years old, according to the programme I purchased at Darlington today, the band hasn't competed for the last two areas so the facts were actually correct when written...............

Well done for the win today, well deserved.

13. goosie baby

goosie baby Member

Well that aint strictly true either, as we have participated in last years area coming 5th, but swings and round abouts. if we don't like the areas we play in at the end of the day it needs to go to the committee not on tmp:clap:

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Huh?

15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ah the programme must be inaccurate then!!

16. I remember a few years ago when Todmorden Old used to play at the Yorkshire Area's - then they moved the bandroom about 2 miles up the road and then suddenly they were competing in the North West Area.
    It has often been said for a few bands competing close to neighbouring counties/borders that they wish they could move (because they would have better results in a different area!)

Andy