Are CDs in tune?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Soppy, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Soppy

Soppy Member

I've been messing around with my silent mute system and tried to play a CD though it as I played as well. But me and the CD were about 3/4 of a tone apart :-o Arrghh, it hurt my ears!

So, does anyone know if CDs are sometimes flat, because if they're not, the system is making me really sharp - which is obviously bad because it'll mess up my 'feeling' for the tuning. THe mute itself makes it sharp I know, but if you use the headphones, I was assuming the tuning would be correct again.

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I'd say the culprit is the mute rather than the CD. If find that all practice mute's I've tried do affect tuning to some degree, the Silent Brass being the worst offenders.
  3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Hmmm, I have to say i agree with Andrew, in my experience brass on cd has always been out of tune with my instrument, being (i think) too sharp, so i have to push all my tuning slides in, which still isn't quite enough!!!
  4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

You've also got to remember that bands/ players all tune to different pitches! So if there's any discrepancy it could be due to the fact that your tuned to a higher/ lower pitch than the band recording- the higher the pitch the brighter the sound, lower= duller etc. :)
  5. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yeah good point, but to the point where to play in tune with the recording, you have to make your instrument sound as sharp as possible, and even then it is still a bit off?!
  6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yeh I've noticed matter how far I push tuning slides in it's never quite right.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You could always alter the pitch (in realtime) of the CD recording by using an editor like Sony's Soundforge to correct any difference. The inbuilt 'Pitch Shift' or Waves 'SoundShifter' plugin does the job neatly to link up with your tuner and speakers to compensate. Just save the altered file for practice.
  8. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Hehee I did that the other day, but just the mute, I ran the batteries down on the pack! :rolleyes: And I was soo sharp! it was minging! My slide was out miles!! I think it's just the mute, cus when you have the earphones in, it still sounds muted doesn't it? hmm. Maybe I'll have to get mumsie to buy me some more batteries! :p

If you were to play along to the cd without the mute, it sounds ok! :)
  9. Soppy

Soppy Member

I can't play along without a mute- because then I can't hear the CD! :)

So it's possibly the mute - so in which case, it's nopt a good idea to use it too often right? Else I'll always be trying to play sharper when I've got it out!
  10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I agree - try playing alongside the CD without the mute in, then you'll know whether the mute is to blame (if not, it could still be either the CD or your playing......). Try several CDs?

Can't you play the CD via earphones/headphones - I find with it like this at full blast I can still hear it when I'm playing FFFF just like being in band - not too good for the neighbours though. In any case, if you practise you should be able to play quiet enough so that you can't hear yourself, only the CD..........or perhaps that doesn't work with sopranos .....would explain a lot ;)

The mute is making you sharp (compared to the CD) so you'll get used to lipping everything down to get in tune, so you'll end up being flat compared to your band (unless you use brain / ears to compensate) [.......or, knowing soprano players you'll end up complaining that the whole band is playing sharp all the time].
  11. Soppy

Soppy Member

I'll play the CD onthe PC then I can get it loud enough. My CD player is too quiet even with headphones.

I don't play with a CD normally though (it was just a one off experiment). But what I meant is if I get used to say a C on my mute system, then when I play a C without a mute, I'll think it's flat - so I'll try and lip up. I just want to avoid that really (I don't actually care about the CD :) ), or avoid thinking I'm in tune when I'm actually palying flat - one of the two. So I need to find out. I'll do some experimenting :)
  12. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

You could always play half the time at written pitch, lipping down, and half the time transposing down a tone and lipping back up - that way you'd get really good at listening to and correcting your tuning and on average you'd be practising at the right pitch ;)
  13. Soppy

Soppy Member

er, yeah :D I used to play the Trumpet more than the cornet. The only reason I swapped was so that I didn't have to do transposition at Grade 6 :D