Are basses just for blokes?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Despot, Feb 17, 2004.

Are basses just for blokes?

1. No women allowed!

2. Women can play them as good as any man!

1. Despot

Despot Member

Not having much to do with it, I "invited" myself into our adult beginner class last week to check progress, only to find out one of the ladies took one look at a EEb and said "Oh no that's a man's instrument."

IMHO, a stupid statement, but how many out there would agree?
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

funny you should say that. Had a female campanologist turn up on the door step last night (as they do) looking to learn something..
    Being the lovely chap I am, I immediately shoved a BBb bass at her, at which she was delighted... Good lungs on her anyway, I think she won that battle..
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

i enjoy playing Eb :D haven't tried Bb yet... but one day!!! :twisted:
  4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

5. Di

Di Active Member

We've got a girls playing an Eb bass in both Vickitorious's band and in Adams youth band and a jolly good job they are both doing of it. :D :lol:
  6. Moy

Moy Active Member

Our principal EEb is female. Incidentally engaged to one of our BBb's
  7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

in my youth band there are 7 basses, 2 Bb and 5 Eb, and 3 of the 5 Eb are female! and my youth band won the youth section at preston so it cant be bad!
  8. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Our Eb is a girl and a damn fine player too
  9. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

A girl helped our band out i think she played better then he rest i think some women just dont play them because there too big or some daft reason like that. :lol:
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I would think some girls/females would be fine on Bass (especially EEb)for most of the technical stuff as long as they were able to knock out the heavy volumes when required.
    Let's face it, there are some sturdy lasses who would be as good as any bloke, and there are some less than sturdy men who may struggle when lung power is called for.
    Males and females come in all shapes and sizes, and some are more appropriately suited to one instrument than another.
    In my NYBBGB days (Donkeys years ago !!) we had a girl on Principal BBb Bass from Trinity Girls Band in Wigan - She was small, slim and
    dainty, and could certainly fill the thing !!!
    I recall Aveley and Newham had a female EEb at the 2003 Grand Shield.
  11. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

My mum plays bass! Nuff said...except she doesn't march because she is a well-upholstered lady and the balance is all wrong I am told...

Rach x
  12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

The good lady Mrs Chunky is a fine Eb Bass player, having won many a solo contest before.

However many years ago she was the victim of prejudice.

She had played very well in a solo contest and was the only Eb Bass player in the contest.

The ajudicator was on stage announcing the results and says 'the winner of the open soloist is.... the GENTLEMAN who played Eb bass :lol:

I never let her forget that!
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Girls on bass rock.

Donno how they do it though, I struggle carrying a Euphonium when I'm loading the bus!
  14. shedophone

shedophone Member

Having said that women are as good as any men, i can't blow a note on a Bb, I'd love to play Eb though. I can get a good sound but have problems with the key.
    There are some great Eb bass playing women (bassesses?), i dont think i know any Bbs though?...
  15. jambo

jambo Member

What about Emma at Besses...Eb or Bb, she does a great job! :lol:
  16. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

bass cases have wheels though!! as far as im aware euphonium cases dont have wheels, also perhaps theu do a bit of weight training so they can lift their basses onto buses!
  17. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

My other half is a Female Tubist, and is far better, than a lot of male players I have sat next to over the years.
    She is not that tall, and has had to have the leadpipe lowered, just to help her produce a better & bigger sound.
    She struggles on BBb a bit though, has problems lifting the thing.

Don't think she likes marching, but managed to bribe her into doing Whit Friday last year, cost me lots of retail therapy for her..
  18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Bass case wheels aren't the godsend they may appear to be. There is a certain art to towing a bass, especially if distance is involved....

With regard to female bass players... You Go Girls!!

There's absolutely no reason at all why women shouldn't play bass.
  19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've known a number of female Eb players over the years... some have been truly awful, and some could really hold their own. Generally the main problem with the bad ones seems to be getting them to play with enough air (not sure that's a grammatically correct word, but I'll continue) but I can't see why women shouldn't be easily as good as men...

...hell, it's only 4ths... **DUCK**
  20. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

OK, I've thought this through carefully, and here's my results.

BBb Basses - gender neutral
    EEb Basses - " " " "
    Baritones - " " " "
    Euphoniums- " " " "
    Trombones - " " " "
    Bass Trombone - NO SKIRTS ALLOWED!!!!!!! :evil: