Are bank holidays useful or not? What do you do on these said 'holidays'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by blakeyboy, Apr 17, 2006.

1. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

I seem to be the only one that has worked both bank holidays. Then again I'd only be at home doing the same, sat pondering life, writing irrelevant blerb all over TMP, generally bored or watching some rather awful tv movie based (very looosely) on a true story...or failing that either a Carry On classic or James Bond for the millionth time.

So, to get back to the subject, are bank holidays a useful thing or just another excuse to sit around bored or being roped into DIY or gardening.

Suggestions please........:D
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think that's it....normally I don't have time for that sort of thing.

I seems everybody was doing just about everything on Easter except actually going to church. If that's the case, why have a holiday?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- hmmmmm! 'going to church' .... what of those who are agnostic, aesthiest or of another religion that doesn't follow Christian values? Can't see them willingly going to listen to the local priest or minister! Easter is a Christian festival and has developed into a Spring break in cultures that was dominated by that particular religion but now have pluralistic tolerance. Cannot see why banks have to continue having holidays that coincide with them though!
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's what I was trying to get at.
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

How contentious would it be to say that Banks are closed or on Holiday when a lot of the people who need them to be open can get there? i.e. after 4.30pm and on Saturdays....never mind Bank Holidays ;)

I always resist the temptation to hide out in B&Q and MFI - too many memories of being dragged there with my Mum & Dad.
  6. chizzum

chizzum Member

bank holidays are really helpful as it gives you a rest which isn't gained from one weekend, but then makes you work so well that week as you efforts on a normal thursday is actually on a friday!
  7. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

I'm so busy now that I'm actually looking for things to do at work. Nothing yet!

What a waste, I could be practising me cornet now.....
  8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I've always worked bank holidays too, but i've never really minded, but then i've always used the weekends to work so its just an extra day to earn money :) Never been paid any extra for doing it until now tho so thats a bonus, as it happens i havent worked today tho. I've done absolutely nothing! Seems a bit of a waste of a day really, but hopefully i should make up for it by going out tonight!
  9. the fish

the fish Member

I work in a bank and believe do we ever pay for these holidays, so no its really it's not worth it when you get back to work................

However I do like the beer drinking in between!
  10. Di

Di Active Member

I work, indirectly for a bank and as I work a 4 day week, my bank holiday allowance is pro-rata'd, meaning that 1.5 of the 8 statutory holidays have to come out of my personal allowance. :mad:
  11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Bank holidays are good for one thing.....getting paid double time!! Had to work Good Friday but had today off and all I managed to achieve was tidying my room, cleaning my instruments out and practicing....oh...I spose that's good actually!?

I used to work for a bank but not in a branch. They used to pay us double to go in on bank holidays.
  12. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

unfortunately we never get a sniff at double time purely because we get the holidays in our annual entitlement. To be honest, i've done very little at work today, took about 10 calls in an 8 hour shift, usuall about 100+, so it was a pretty easy day but boy will we pay for it tomorrow!!!

Maybe they are useful, maybe not...who knows...still not decided though...:confused:
  13. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Oh I love Bank Holidays. :clap:

For those of us that actually get them off as an extra day's paid leave, they're great. :biggrin: And why wouldn't we feel they're useful :confused:

What do I do? Whatever I feel like doing - that's the point, isn't it?

The problem with them? Returning to work on the Tuesday. :eek:
  14. Di

Di Active Member

*has a little chortle*

Not for me. I work a four day week, so when we have bank holidays I get a reaaaaaaally long weekend, and I'm still sitting to exactly what I please right now. :tongue::biggrin:

*/ doing nothing but stirring a little jealousy * ;)
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- did anyone notice that it wasn't a bank holiday on Saturday? :rolleyes:
  16. Spent most of this bank holiday glued to Sky Sports News, to see if the Mighty Wednesday could stay in Championship football...we are, huzzah!

No bank Holiday Monday for me, playing all day with a county schools jazz band- we've got a concert this week with a chap called Bosco de Oliviera, who seems to be a walking encyclopedia on Brazilian and Cuban Music, it's great!

Having been born and bred into Brass Band music, I feel like I'm having to unlearn everything I know about music and learn it all again from scratch...:eek:
  17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I worked on Good Friday this year, but had Monday off. I don't get paid any extra, but the tips are usually better, and often it's quite a nice, easy going shift (well, it was this time anyway!), so I don't mind it. But then, I've got three whole weeks off for Easter, so I don't think working on a bank holiday really affects my time off that much...!
  18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I've worked Bank holidays in the past and in my new job I get every Bank Holiday off. I must say I do prefer to have Bank Holidays off, I always felt like I was missing out on all the Bank Holiday activities that go on.
    Bank Holidays are never boring and I can always find something to do

TIMBONE Active Member

For some reason, I have never got over excited about a Bank Holiday. Must be something to do with my childhood - Dad in the pub as usual (working that is) - Mum doing the same as she did every day - and living in Weston-super-Mare, where every day is a holiday :biggrin: Plus the fact that they always seemed to be during School Hols anyway. What did I do for the Easter Bank Holiday? aahhh I remember, put the finishing touches to my NERUDA.......................................
  20. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Glad to see another Wednesday fan on here!