"Archived" Music and instruments.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sudcornet, Feb 6, 2006.

1. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Does anybody have any good ideas about what do (preferably for profit) with seriously old music and instruments that have been "archived" in the bandroom loft for years.

The band "she who must be obeyed" plays for have quite a substantial amount of old complete sets of parts lying dormant and the odd "antique" instrument.

Most of the music appears to date from around the turn of the last century (some in unplayed condition), as do some of the instruments.

We've looked at ebay as an option and some " dealers".

I was wondering if any tMP'ers have experience of clearing some of these items and would like to share their ideas and experiences.

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Do you have a list detailing exactly what you have, or is it just a big scary pile of stuff in the bandroom? If you have a list maybe you could post it here and invite offers to sell it off piecemeal?
  3. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

You never know it might be worth telling the likes of Roy Newsome and the universities about it. There may be some hidden gems or lost masterpieces in there.

I know Roy is into Banding History in a big way.
  4. tubagod

tubagod Member

i for one would like to know what you have.
  5. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I'll put together a list of the stuff they have. I suspect a few of being "little gems"....one of the first few she brought home included the waltz "Gold and Silver"....not an arrangement but Franz Lehar's own transcription for brass and wind band....there are also some Denis Wright arrangements which look interesting.....watch this space!

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I would contact Nick Childs at Doyen who as got his archive center he as got loads of old music and instruments records etc.

Post Number 973
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All old music should be documented for reference purposes in case some valuable historical material is there as well! It might be that most of the manuscripts are just copies of the originals, but then again ....
  8. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Here's some ideas that you could do with the archived material:-

1) I believe Mr Gourlay at the Royal Northern College is a collector. So try him.
    2) Brass band Archive near Leyland, got a load of CD's and other original stuff.
    3) Contact Salford University because Ibelieve they have an archive.
    4) Horniman Museum in London at one point had a substantial amount of brass instruments and other 19th century stuff also it is open to the general public.
    5) An expensive yet interesting project may involve the Smithsonian in America who archive different kinds of world music (a very large museum and archive!!!)
    6) Clean the instruments and create your own archive, get arts council or heritage grants??
  9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

A note on the Smithsonian option - they have become much more selective in the last few years, as a result of budget cuts and basically running out of storage space. They would probably want to pick through and just take things that did not duplicate things they already have. This is also not a quick turnaround - it can take literally years for them to get to processing your request (especially if it's not attached to a large monetary gift).

I think you would be better served to look for a British organization to take the items before going the Smithsonian route.
  10. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

It takes a bit of work but I've started making a lamp out of an old trumpet. I got the idea from new orleans. It is a little harder than it looks, but it is possible to thread wire all the way through the instrumet, yep through the valves too! Then just fix a light fitting and shade on top and work out what to stand it on and you're sorted. Yeah I know its a really weird idea, but it looks really cool. Just depends if you have the time, or want to, take all the old instruments apart and make lamps!!! Also depends on the quality of the instruments, if they're some rare antique then probably best not to!!!
  11. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Horror! Unless they're unplayable of course. Mind you, half my youth band play on antiques. Is this a worse end for them I wonder?
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I know of a retired tuba player from one of the US military bands who obtained an old Sousaphone from a local college (the instrument having been rendered beyond economic repair by decades of use by drunken students in the marching band) and planted it in his front garden where it now houses a lovely display of spring flowers.
  13. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I'm sorry!!!! It wasn't entirely playable, ok it was but it was really old and basic. Atleast I'll get some use out of it now!
  14. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

it's ok, I wasn't calling you! The number of class A's in my bands' instruments must mean that such items are not that valuable. They're always worth something if they play tho
  15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The Avengers... didn't Steed use a Bb Bass as a flowerpot..?
  16. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Yeah I know, I saw some in a hotel in New Orleans and thought how cool they looked and had to try it for myself!
  17. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

that's how trad jazz bands started I believe, with cheap army instruments after the 1st world war
  18. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I believe that may have been a contributing factor. Certainly increased its popularity anyway with the availability
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There were many spare instruments around after the American Civil War, that certainly led to a bid expansion in the number of town bands etc.