Arban Speed Trial

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Evans, Apr 18, 2017.

1. David Evans

David Evans Member

Exercise 46, page 20, Arban.

Only around 400 crotchets. You can play at any speed you like BUT any splits or wrong notes at all send you right back to the beginning.

What is the fastest time that you can complete it absolutely accurately?, eg 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes? or less...

Mesmerist likes this.
  2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Good idea David. Might give it a go tomorrow.

3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

This sounds like fun, may give it a go at some point.

Just for fun/reference - mathematically...
    - The exercise contains 8 bars (of 4 beats) in each key, and 13 lines in total - so that's 104 bars and 416 crotchet beats.
    - At 60 crotchet beats per minute (1 crotchet per second) for easy maths... 416 beats would take 416 seconds. 420 seconds would be 7 minutes, so 416 seconds is 6 minutes and 56 seconds.

I should think 120 crotchet beats per minute *should* be comfortable (which would be 3min28sec)... will have to see if I'm right about that...

4. Mesmerist

01:26:231 using on online stop clock. Confess to hurtling through the easier bits but slowing down at the flat keys because I didn't want to put a bum one in. Need to have a look at the bottom line on page 20 before having another go. Go on, I'm easy to beat - show me up!

5. Mesmerist

01:26:187

6. Tom-King

What's the fastest you can manage at a steady tempo?

7. Mesmerist

01:23:377 but still cheating by slowing down in the 5 - 6 flats. No wrong 'uns though. :)

8. Mesmerist

I don't know Tom but I'm not in your league. *bows* Will go back and do it properly!

9. Mesmerist

01:39:782 with no cheating. Am seriously puffed and finding it stressful doing it under pressure. Off to rehearse a certain couple of bars in Renaissance now and leaving it to the experts.

10. Tom-King

Haha, I'm terrible with lots of flats or lots of sharps, I'd have to practice it (or cheat and scribble them in) to stand a chance

Mesmerist likes this.
  11. Mesmerist

Just been trying it all slurred but not made it though unscathed yet!

12. Mesmerist

There is another little stinker on page 36, number 38. Looks easier than it is.

13. Mesmerist

Crumbs. I've just stopped playing. That was a long practice session. David, my conductor will be happy with you!

14. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

But don't crack a note :):):)

Good Luck

15. Tom-King

With zero cracks I've managed a steady metronome-backed crotchet=180 (just over 2 mins), will try faster at some point...

Suspect it's just one of those that playing it enough to get the fingering pattern in your head it would be more of an advantage than anything else in getting quick times. (And I'm already a bit bored of it :p )