Arban solos - accompaniments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dyddgu, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

Ok, sorry to do this to you all twice in one week, but this is the best place I know to pick brains (apart from Cardiff pubs) ;-)

Does anyone know whether there are any available piano accompaniments for the air varies/solos at the back of the Arban, apart from "Carnival de Venise" which I have somewhere, and "Fantasie Brilliante" (which is in Stephen Booth's book, which my ex has nicked, but at least I know it's *somewhere*) ;-)

I guess I just love air varies, and need more stuff to play in college concerts that they haven't heard yet! Any help much appreciated *hopeful grin*
  2. grandfilth

grandfilth Member

'Carnival', the book that goes with winton marsalis's cd of air varies is quite good tho the cadenzas are ridiculous!!but there's a few gems in there
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just Music list a book of Fourteen Studies, with piano accompaniment - go to "Find" and enter "Arban" and "Cornet/trumpet"
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Although they are not from the Arban you may be interested in the following Air Varies:

Gentle Annie

Good King Wenceslas

Free Solo parts available to print from web site.

5. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

Is that the studies or the solos though? I do wish they'd put the index online so you know what's in it! Thanks for that though :)

Also thanks Roger - most interesting! Shame Wenceslas has no piano accomp, I somehow doubt I can persuade conductors that a baritone solo is a good move ;-)
    Liking the website though - anything that says "Baritone Solo" almost as soon as I open up the browser gets my vote! :lol:
  6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Don't forget that Russell Gray has released a CD of the Arban solos and accomps. in some cases we specially arranged. My husband Simon Kerwin has arranged two for the CD. Variations sur la Norma, Cavatine de Beatrice di Tenda and Le Cornet Polka.

Contact me by pm for further details.

Alex K
  7. ted

ted Member

My band did a concert with Russell 3 nights ago and played Cavatine de Beatrice di Tenda and Le Cornet Polka arranged by Mr Kerwin. I must say, the band parts are very hard and will take a top notch band to pull off. Which is great because it's not boring like the usual theme and var. band parts.

8. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Mark Freeh has made an arrangement of Variations on a Tyrolean Theme which was recorded by Pat Sheridan on "Blazing Brass". This is now available from Crabtree Music for either Eb or Bb soloist.