Arban Method - Still The Best?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Mar 19, 2007.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

After something like 150 years in print, and published 100 years ago in UK by Hawkes, is there a better tutor than Arban's "Cornet Method"? If I'm out of practise (which happens often) I still turn to page 125 - mixed intervals - and work until I can get through it.
    Or is the Arban old hat these days? Is there something better?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I still use the Arban daily works for me

3. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Of course it's the best....if you can play the lot, then there isn't much more to learn.

Sud

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well when i first got mine my teacher told me
    "Ian thats known as the Brass Bands Persons Bible!!! and dont for get it!!!"

5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

had my arban out today in fact!

6. Of course it's the best. There's nothing else as comprehensive, progressive and interesting. Written by a genious.

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It depends on what it is you're trying to learn ;)

8. Pretty much any technique, except circular breathing and recording... ;)

9. KMJ Recordings

I've not always been a recordist, you know. Funnily enough I used to play in one of these Band things. Oh, and surprisinngly enough, I was actualy quite good.

The Arban teaches some things very well, other things not so well and some things not particularly at all.

I'd suggest a forum search - this has come up before.

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Used intelligently (and in conjunction with a great teacher) you can learn just about anything from the Arban.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arban Method
    Arban
    Cornet Method
    UK
    Hawkes
  12. KMJ Recordings

And the bit in the brackets is the important bit ;)

Didn't you have the same discussion with Brassneck at one time, Mike?

13. ... do you agree with your teacher?

14. trumpetmike

I wouldn't be surprised if I have expressed something similar before, it is a common subject on many of the forums I frequent.

Doesn't stop us all having a pile of other study books though :lol:

15. KMJ Recordings

The main crux of it last time - IIRC - was improvisation / blues etc, there was to-ing and fro-ing about the application of a good teacher to rewriting the scalic stuff in blues scales (which in my interpretation means it doesn't cover them - but I can understand where you're coming from) and so on.

There was another main proponent - David Quinlan I think - but hey, I'm just a recording engineer and wouldn't know about such things ;)

Amonsgt the recommendations here Herbert Clarke's Technical studies, Vizzutti Vols 1-3 and Chas Clarke's Advanced Trumpet Lip Flexibilities.

16. KMJ Recordings

Oops - I obviously meant Chas Collin's Advanced Trumpet Lip Flexibilities.

To the best of my knowledge, the MP's not written a trumpet book, but I could be wrong :eek:

17. David Mann

David Mann Member

The only criticism I have of the Arban is it seems to accept the working range of the instrument as brass band top C, probably it was with 19th century instruments.

18. trumpetmike

If that is a problem - start the book again, but this time up an octave:biggrin:

The Arban was good enough for Maynard and there was nowt wrong with his upper range

19. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Oh dear, what have I done/said now?

Arban still a valid and useful resource.

20. KMJ Recordings

Nothing - I think you were a strong proponent.

I guess my message is that although the Arban is a fabulous book (when I was playing all those years ago ;) it was never far away).... there are a few limitations to it's content (without rewriting it!)...which may be better addressed by other tutors - some of which are applicable to brass band playing, some aren't.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  21. AlanGiff

AlanGiff New Member

Based on the replies in this Thread, It's Yes

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arban Method
    Arban
    Cornet Method
    UK
    Hawkes