Arban - Difficulty rankings??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kronk, Dec 16, 2010.

1. kronk

kronk New Member

I've returned to playing Cornet after a few years and I'm currently working through Arbans 14 studies and wondered what the 'order of difficulty' would be.

Appreciate this is totally subjective and one mans No.12 is anothers mans No. 4... and each one tests different things to different degrees.

eg: No. 12 is currently on ABRSM Grade 7 for Cornet, and No. 10 is Gd 8 - but I reckon playing No. 10 is harder.

Would be interested to hear thoughts.
  2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

That's why number 10 is grade 8 but number 12 is only grade 7 ;)

On a serious note - They're both quite hard. I personally think 10 is harder.
  3. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I understand that different things are hard for different people ( I can't even play no.1!), but I think the general idea with the Arban is to concentrate on the 100'ish pages before the solos/studies until they are all within reach.
  4. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

I agree that the difficulty lies in mastering the technique to then master the study. There is no need to rank them. If you need to do that then you are probably approaching it the wrong way round.
  5. GJG

GJG Active Member

I don't think they can be ranked anyway. Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. The one I have the most difficulty with may be more straightforward for others.
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

They're not in difficulty order!.....

Carnival of Venice is Diploma standard and there's a bit in the book that's a Grade 5 Study (and I'm sure my students hate me for making them play it!)

Must get back on the studies, haven't played them for ages, I'd almost memorised a few of them at uni!
  7. Toddus

Toddus New Member

Are we talking about the solos at the back of the book? haha
  8. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

is there any definitive recordings of the 14 studies? I'm trying to teach a lad number 6 and I cant help but think its been written incorrectly. All the recordings by unshaven American students on youtube seem to play the slower bit at the wrong tempo. Is this a commonly known mistake or is my brain malfunctioning? (the later isn't out of the question)
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

David Baldwin has recorded them ...
  10. kronk

kronk New Member

Just bought a book with all the studies plus piano accompaniment (Copyright 2008, Brass Wind Publications) - comes with a CD with all the studies at practice and performance tempo, including sample performances. Paul Mayes is the trumpeter.
    Will help you with your student definitely!
  11. kronk

kronk New Member

:clap:Oh, and I'm a MCFC fan!
  12. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

13. cenfyn

cenfyn New Member

14. kronk

kronk New Member

Great positive comment. Nice! When I first posted I got some holier than thou comments about mastering the previous pages in Arban..blah blah...can't rank Arban...blah blah! Anyway, since then, as the Replicant at the end of Bladerunner said "I've seen things you wouldnt believe".... and I can say my insight to brassbands is a mixture. Positives : I loved playing and practicing, Whit Marches and Regionals. Negatives : Ive never been caught in such a malodorous, negative, self destructive, arrogant, aloof, nonsensical, self-gratutidal, irrelevant, petty and politically destructive environment as brassbands. Trumpet then..... Always trumpet......
  15. ben16

ben16 Member

isn't the idea that these are all testing different specifics? e.g. there's one at the end that noone ever plays that is just chromatic scales - easy if you can do chromatic scales, impossible otherwise.

personally i find all of the arban studies a "bit of a blow" to say the least so the longer ones with no breaks are the most difficult.
  16. ben16

ben16 Member

i've been doing something similar for years
    using a MIDI sequencer and all the lovely free music available on the web
    was even considering setting up a website like this (if only i had the time - or the ability)
    although it's a lot more interesting playing with accompaniment i think you can overdo it
  17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Holier than thou comments? I thought it was people trying to be helpful........
  18. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

No it's not... there's some stuff before that alot harder than loads of the stuff at the back I think. Plus its probably better to switch between the two, because then your incorporating the aspects as you improve them. Plus more satisfying.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  19. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Nah! One day on scales, one on triple tonguing, and then straight into Carnival of Venice! Isn't that what everyone did?

Then Dad came along, rapped my knuckles, and it was back to page one.
  20. Daveflug

Daveflug New Member

I think they are all pretty easy, but then again I am ****ing good