Arachibutyrophobia - An Essay.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Jun 22, 2004.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

1. A phobia is an irrational fear of an animal or object that causes anxiety when coming into contact with it.
    It could happen for various reasons, one could be because of a traumatic event in childhood that triggers a negative association of that object and the person reinforces that negative association and fear by avoiding it and getting scared when coming into contact with it. (E.g. when a child finds something nasty in a jar of peanut butter, and it scares them, such as metal and it hurt them) this could lead to fear in later life.
    Another explanation is evolutionary. For example, a cat phobia could be explained because big cats were a danger to ancient man so we had it imprinted on our brains and little cats are similar and sum people are more biologically alert then other and that could affect them.
    Phobias such as the peanut butter fear are seen as Abnormal Behaviour.
    Abnormal behaviour is a combination of the following:
    The behaviour is infrequent
    Violates social norms
    Causes personal suffering
    Causes others to suffer
    Disrupts their life
    Eccentrics (are not mentally disturbed)
    Exhibit behaviours that violate social norms and are infrequent but they do not pose a threat to
    themselves or other people. Nor do these behaviour interfere with their life.
    Anything that violates social norms, are seen in society as “deviant.”
    Kate_the_Horn

2. Arachibutyrophobia is recognised as being a fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. For anyone with a phobia about that sort of thing, finding that peanut butter is sticking to the roof of their mouth will obviously panic them! The term ‘arachi’ refers to glutinous oil found in butter and nuts. It hasn’t been confirmed if arachibutyrophobes suffer a mild dislike of sticky peanut butter or a genuine phobia, and so the phobia can be described as one of a crop of terms that reflect recently emerging natural human fears, and is recognised by experts as being deviant.
    Seedhouse

3. Fearing something in the United Kingdom is an extremely common condition, with up to 50% of people claiming to be afraid of something, whether it is the fear of French horns, wind bands, or even peanut butter. Most people find that the deviance of this fear is extremely hard to encounter, but a scientist I spoke to said:“It’s all in the mind, therefore if we cannot train our minds not to be afraid, then we won’t ever be able to conquer these apprehensions”. To conclude, the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one’s mouth, albeit extremely strange, is an extremely serious condition, one which should not be laughed at, as there are relatively few cures, or pressure groups that combat this. So whenever you’re walking down the peanut butter aisle at a supermarket, stop. Think of this essay, and remind yourselves that you’re one of the lucky ones.
    Homicidalbennyboy

4. Peanut butter, for some a taste explosion for the mouth commonly found contained between two slices of bread with the liberal addition of a favourite flavour of jam, for others a nerve wrenching gut churning experience. The latter does not relate to a peanut allergy disorder or even the simpler milder form of a general dislike for all things peanut like but alludes to the horrifying experience of the peanut butter adhering to the roof of ones mouth, thus turning an innocent lunchtime snack into a terrifying ordeal of nerves over the prospect of the substance gluing to the upper palette.
    Whatsharp?

5. Although not a common phobia, Arachibutyrophobia is regularly mistaken for the far more common and widespread phobia arachnophobia, which is of course the fear of spiders. It may well be due to widespread ignorance of the phobia “Arachibutyrophobia” that this mistake is made, although many scientists believe it is purely down to the fact that one is far more likely to come in to contact with spiders than you are to be savaged by a jar of sunpat’s finest.
    Arachibutyrophobia does not discriminate between the smooth or rough varieties of the paste but instead is common to both of these types.
    2nd man down

6. Sufferers of arachibutyrophobia can have extreme symptoms or may have their phobia under control. Reported symptoms include breathlessness, dizziness, sweating, nausea, feeling sick, shaking, heart palpitations, inability to speak or think clearly, or a full blown anxiety attack. Clearly, some are more affected than others. Many sufferers are embarrassed by their problem and are more likely to just avoid peanut butter altogether, saying they don’t like the taste or something similar. However others are more badly affected. The very sight of a jar could give them a range of the symptoms listed above. Sadly a lot of people don’t take this condition seriously and until recently there has not been much help available.
    Groovy

7. Arachibutyrophobia is a mouthful to most people, but for sufferers worldwide it is a terror they face everyday. Rather than this phobia being a deviance however, it is far more common than many people think. However, most fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth phobia therapies take months or years and sometimes even require the patient to be exposed repeatedly to their fear, similar to the way tenor horn players overcome their fear of the terrifying phenomenon of French horns or bass players overcome their fear of ever playing quieter than mezzo piano or similar volumes.
    Trombelle

8. The problem of Arachibutyrophobia is brought about by the silicon gel type properties (silicon gel is often supplied in small sachets in shoe boxes for example to eliminate the possibility of damage to a product due to unwanted moisture) of the peanut butter ingredients. Once the peanut butter has entered the mouth the immediate effect is that most of the mouths natural lubricant saliva is soaked up and is therefore unable to prevent the sticky substance from bonding itself to all it touches. The roof of the mouth, being the least moist part of this cavity, is then the prime place for the peanut butter to stick.
    2nd man down on behalf of Jo Elson

9. Believe it or not, there is a program available that can cure this phobia!
    There is a clinic in the good old U S of A that claims to be able to cure allsorts of phobias. THE PHOBIA CLINIC in New York USA works with people all around the world to cure phobias of every description. Does this mean you have to travel across the pond? NO! They offer a home study programme that they claim can “Vanquish Fear & Anxiety in Just 24 hours” so if you feel you suffer from this type of phobia give them a call! Arachibutyrophobia is confirmed as just one of the new breed of phobias that THE PHOBIA CLINIC has begun to recognise and treat.
    Super_Sop

2. 2nd man down

Guys, I think we all did well to get this in, thanks everyone for the pm's emails, text messages, phone calls, pigeons...sorry no pigeons, etc and the constant too-ing and fro-ing of messages we all had to ensure that the content stayed interesting and non repetative. (Hopefully!!) :roll:

Lets hope we did it and next time...can I have a rest??!?!? Check out the time!!! 1:18 and I'm up again in less than 4 hours!!!!

3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

well done dude, for sorting it and posting it.
    well done to everybody else for pulling together and getting it done

4. trombelle

trombelle Member

:D yay us!! i think we may have actually done it this time!! :tup

and of course a special tank u to 2MD. what a legend you are sir, we couldn't have done it without you!!
    and HBB, thanks for the PM that alerted me to the task, you two fellas are keeping us in line!

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Big thankyou to 2md!!! :wink:
    Really appreciate the time and effort you put in for helping us complete the task, just hope BB appreciates it too! :?

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Nice One Matey!!!

7. BOC Brother

BOC Brother Member

BB can announce the result of this task.

The rules clearly stated: "Each housemate must write a minimum of 100 words"

The word count of each housemate are as follows:
    • kate the horn: 227
      Seedhouse: 102
      homocidalbennyboy: 151
      WhatSharp?: 101
      2nd man down: 101
      groovy: 113
      trombelle: 100 (phew!)
      2nd man down on behalf of Jo Elson: 107
      super_sop: 122
    Well done!

Another rule was: "The essay must contain the following words or phrases - 'deviance', 'french horn' and 'mezzo piano'" - deviance appeared 4 times, French horns appeared twice and mezzo piano once. Another rule stated "housemates must not repeat what other housemates have said previously" - clearly deviance and French horns have been repeated!

Also, the rules stated: "The essay must not contain any spelling mistakes"

Here are some examples:

- should be 'some' surely!

- programme?

- all sorts?

So, it may not come as a surprise to you housemates, but BB is sad to announce that you have once again failed a task!

Housemates will now face a forfeit for failing this task - BB would tMPers to suggest this forfeit - so tMPers please send BB a pm with your eeeeeeevil ideas!

Before I go, BB has a message from someone you all now very well:

BB would like to thank Sellers_Bird for her help in compiling this task.

Thanks,

BB. :twisted:

8. 2nd man down

Sorry housemates, I failed you badly.
    2nd man down’s defence.
    BOC Bro, for what it’s worth “Program” appears in my copy of the Oxford popular English Dictionary..I’d like that to be struck from the list of non-compliances please.
    You said that housemates shouldn’t repeat each other but if you’re going to pick out single words (compulsory or not) then you could also fail us on the use of words such as “and” and “the” surely? The technical content of the paragraphs was not repeated.

Having said that I cannot reasonably dispute the other points and therefore I go to stand by the door having failed my housemates and await their nominations.
    :( :? :( :cry:

9. BOC Brother

BOC Brother Member

BB has noted your reply 2nd man down. However much housemates think that BB has been 'picky' here - the result of the task stays the same.

Thanks,

BB.

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Wasn't your fault mate, you did a first class job. Its just BB being particularly evil and vindictive! :evil:

big BOO HISS! to BB.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arachibutyrophobia - An Essay
    E.g.
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well we tried..... :(

13. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Don't worry about it 2md, I won't hold it against you. You put a lot of effort into making sure that we did our best, and with that amount of effort alone we should have passed!

I read it that we had to write a maximum of 100 words so when I was going through the entire essay, I was beginning to panic! :oops: :roll:

Anyway I noticed a few spelling mistakes in BB report on how we did with the task :lol: :wink:

Bring on the forfeit! We'll do it! :twisted:

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

ah well, we did our best.tiz a shame, but i feel that as a team we worked really well on this one. dont get down hearted about it guiys.

well done crawford. you did us proud. althoough i am slightly confused as to were the extra 22 words came from in mine :cry:

15. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

would like to thank 2md for contributing my part of the essay an apologise. had a history exam yesterday so couldnt afford to come on internet at all. sorry.

16. 2nd man down

You’re more than welcome.

17. trombelle

trombelle Member

i really thought we had a chance on this one guys :(
    anyway take heart, we're working well as a team so next task should be a doddle!!

why do i get the feeling i will live to regret satying that?....... :roll:

18. groovy

groovy Active Member

Thanx so much to 2md for doing a fabby dooby job on this, and well done to us for writing such fascinating things! I feel that Boc Bro has been far too picky on this one but we did it as far as I'm concerned. Forfeit will be a laugh - er maybe! Well keeps us off the streets.........

19. HBB

HBB Active Member

A forfeit for a failed forfeit for breaking the rules. Man, we're bad!

20. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol! Well spotted bunny boy! :D

21. 2nd man down

well we have to give the inhabitants of BOC Brother II something to aspire to don't we?!?! :wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arachibutyrophobia - An Essay
    E.g.