Aqa Gcse Music

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Redhorn, May 24, 2005.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Just wondering if anyone out there took the AQA GCSE Music Listening exam today? If so, what did you think?
    No brass bands.......again! (although did have a wind band, and a drunken Irish rock band singing 'The Road to Dublin' (as featured in 'Gaelforce'!))
  2. groovy

groovy Active Member

Nope but I did Int 2 Listening on Friday. There was no brass there either but some really cheesy music - Harry Potter, Highland Cathedral etc. Listening is fun! I like ticking boxes! I once had a brass band question and got about a million marks for listing all the instruments. It was only a practice paper though.
  3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i did that today... kinda forgot i was in an exam when queen started playing (woops)... answered everything... most of it probably wrong...

i thought i was stoooooopidly hard. but maybe i didnt do enough revision. oh well... never mind.
  4. stabbyjnr

stabbyjnr Member

hey, i did the edexcel one today it was really hard, i hope i get a pass!!
  5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

It was hard, even from a teachers point of view. Particularly the 'cowboy music' question, using a keyboard instead of the REAL instruments- then being asked what it was supposed to be!?.... They did that last year, and lots of us complained!
    They seemed to ignore Baroque music totally, had another Beethoven question, one cadence, virtually no world music, and hardly 1/2 of the stuff on areas of study were touched! Makes me despair!
    The Queen question had the same effect on my lot too. Although none of them could agree afterwards whether it was 1970s or 1980s music!

6. drummergurl

yeah i got the early romantic and late romantic one mixed up on that...

i put 1980s for the queen one, and ive since found out it was released in 74 tho i think d'oh. oh well... never mind... i had trouble deciding between 70's and 80's too.

yeah i was kinda a bit surprised there was nothing like a samba or a salsa on it, they make us learn soooooooo much n then dont test anything to do with it! and there werent any reggae or anything like that on it.

the "cowboy" being the last question i take it... it was a bit daft that question... 3 percussion instruments... well from what i heard... there was only 3.

the one where you had to fill in the score.. i though was quite hard.. cuz there was loads to do, and only a few playings.. however some of it you could fill in from just lookin at the score.. i.e. time signature.. the key its in, the key it was in at bar 8. i think most of my class with have struggled with the key's i doubt they will have known which key it started in and which it was in bar 8.
  7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Too true!
    Did seem that the romantic ones were a bit close in timing, first was definitely Beethoven 3rd, not sure what second was! Even the 20thC one wasnt terribly 20thC!
    Hopefully theyll give a mark for 1980's, not far off! Most of mine struggled with the electric piano.
    As for the 3 percussion instruments, I had triangle, bell, some sort of bongo type thing and a thing that sounded like it was a whip with lots of reverb on!
    Ironically my class asked me about key sigs just before the exam, 'do we have to know modulations?' they said, 'No,' I answered 'but if you do either put down 'relative minor' or 'dominant'' So thankfully most of them put down the dominant! Thats the worst question, so much to answer! but was a little easier than last years. Yes, the secret is to try and answer as many qus as you can before you hear the extract! one of my girls did that on the pocohontas question, writing away about male voices long before it had started. Thought it was hard trying to name 6 musical features/devices on that question!

8. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Omg, thank god for this thread! Something's been annoying me all day. Near the end there was a question that sounded like western music, something from a cowboy film. Well at least thats what I thought until after the exam my teacher said there was no way it was from a western, but was latin american. I just stared at her blankly as I didnt hear anything on the cd that sounded remotely like latin american music. Am I right, or completely deluded???
  9. drummergurl

lol for the pocahontas one, i felt like i was repeating myself sooooooo much... i wrote anything random that came into my head for that one. i also think its a bit harsh that on some questions they played it 3 times, and wanted you to state about 6 features and the effect it creates.

im pretty certain the last one was cowboy. and i wrote a whip for that, but with the amount of reverb on it, i thought it could have easily been a snare drum too... one with a very tight head.

and thinking about it, ive only just realised that i wrote the dominant down in that modulation one. i looked at it and worked it out from the g sharp being added in the bar before.. there wont have been many in my class that got that right at all. i was talking to a friend after the exam, and he said he wrote down something like c major and f major... i feel sorry for him.. hes not that bright when it comes to music.
  10. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

One of mine put down F major too, couldnt work that one out! :confused:
    If your teacher taught you properly then he/she would know that there is only a choice of about 4 types of film. Western, Sci Fi, Horror, and Fantasy, i think! No room for Latin America there! Was DEFINITELY western/cowboy, although bad electronic instruments didnt help!

Incidentally, on the 'waltz' question it WAS a wind band, wasnt it? Am worried that only one channel on my amp was working, and am a little worried the other channel may have had strings on?......
    Couldnt understand why they used a wind band to demonstrate a 19th Century dance!!!???....

11. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

yeh I didnt like the pocahontas one at all. I didnt really know how to understand the question-what the music was describing. I put what it could signify but I'm not sure thats what they meant lol. Ah well. Don't need GCSE mus to do A level, so thats alright!
  12. mr.forde

mr.forde Member

The exam was esay, the question were way too easy no brass band though, Wind instroments are boring so ive probbably done pants:eek:
  13. drummergurl

yeah i put windband for that one... but i was sure i could hear strings too.. not sure if that was my imagination though :confused: it did sound more windband, but i thought at one point i could hear strings... but thought i was imagining it so ignored my desire to put down orchestra

mr.forde... im glad it was easy for someone :rolleyes:
  14. flower girl

flower girl Member

i did it last year and it was a really difficult paper, was it any easy or hard this year?
  15. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I think it was slightly easier this year, but the questions were just as random!

Was definitely a wind band, had another listen this morning! So, now begs the question, why on earth are they using a wind band to play an 19thC Orchestral Waltz????....

Will be writing to the GCSE subject officer later this afternoon!

16. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Had not done AQA before, so was not quite sure what to expect (especially as the board do not give the opportunity to use past CDs for mocks etc!!)
    Think some of it was really difficult. A little vague in some questions too, I thought. And how many percussion instruments were there actually to choose 3 from in qu9???!!!
    Orch Landmarks not bad - anyone with a mobile should have recognised Mozart 40!!!
    My students seemed confident after it, but how misplaced that is, I have yet to discover... well, I guess we find out in August!
  17. jonford

jonford Member

When I did the AQA listening, a few years ago now, we had floral dance! That made me laugh :)
  18. groovy

groovy Active Member

Your exam sounds very hard! Were there no ticky boxes? thats basically what mine was - "What can you hear? Tick the correct boxes" and the boxes were usually v obvious!
  19. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Yes, there were some of those too - some obvious, others not!
  20. timbloke

timbloke Member

Not entirely on topic..

My dad, who, until he retired a couple of years ago, worked in the examinations industry, once told me that when AQA formed back in the mid 90s they were going to call themselves AQUA (which sounded better). However had a last minute change of mind influenced by the number one single at the time "Barbie Girl" by Aqua.

Not sure if it is true, but always makes me smile. Whatever happened to Aqua anyway?