Appropriate music for current events

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by glidng_slide, Oct 31, 2012.

1. glidng_slide

glidng_slide Member

With all the recent events regarding the political correctness of bands would appropriate music depicting current events be under similar scrutiny

Ok playing Olympic Fanfare and Theme over the Olympic fortnight, Pop goes Bach for the winter olympics, Best of Bond for the release of Skyfall, I agree with. However in light of the recent bad weather here, and the current situation in the US particularly New York and New Jersey, is Singing in the Rain really appropriate!

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

3. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Wondering if Sydney Baynes 'A Coon`s Day Out' will ever see the light of day again?:)

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I wasnt brave enough !!!!

5. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Perhaps some people might want to give "I will survive" an airing!!!!!

6. nethers

nethers Active Member

Anyone played 'Cock Up Your Beaver?'.

7. yep played that couple of weeks ago

8. its_jon

its_jon Member

Something politically correct and totally non offensive should be the order of the day.

What about 'The Floral Dance' ..... Hmm yes... That's cosy and nicely brass bandy.

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I feel it's only a matter of time before someone refers to Eric Ball's Rhapsody on African American Spirituals. Or Debussy's Le petit Africo-Americaine, or The African American's Cakewalk.

10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I once saw an American journalist ask Nelson Mandela, "As an African-American, how do you feel about xxx?"

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Olympic
    Ok
    Skyfall
    Olympic Fanfare and Theme
    Pop
  12. GordonH

GordonH Member

What about "Shave em Dry"?

John Chilton once played at a fundraising dinner for the NSPCC where George Melly burst into a spontaneous rendition of the aforementioned song. Apparently there was a rugby scrum of musicians trying to restrain George, but it was all too late as he was well through the first verse by that point.