Approaching 40 and Falling to Pieces!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Just wanted to know if all I've got to look forward to is 'falling to pieces'!

After working for 5yrs with only 1 day off sick, over the last 12mths I have had 4 separate occassions, totalling 22 days, where I have had to be off work. It seems I get over 1 thing and then something else starts falling apart! As I am approaching 40 (oh no!) I wondered if this is it! Is this my life from now on? One niggle after another?

I was hoping that 'life begins at 40' was correct but at the moment it feels like 'life falls to bits from 40'.

Please someone out there tell me this is just a bad year and things will get better not that it's all downhill from here! Cos it's really depressing me.:(
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I know how you feel! Over the past 18 months, I have had a heart scare, been diagnosed with arthristis and two sorts of anemia, topped off with psoriasis and a healthy dose of depression! I'm not for not minute down-grading your own health issues, but my point is this; please don't let these things get you down! I strongly believe that a lot of our physical health depends on our state of mind. Try to stay positive and enjoy the times when you feel well. When you don't, plan nice things to do when you feel better. Eat healthy foods - lots of fresh veg, lots of fish (brain food). Enjoy the odd glass of red wine, malt whisky or whatever, but the main thing is, please try an stay positive! I had a bit of a funny turn at band a few weeks ago and was moved to tears by all the genuine concern showed by the players. Banding really is one big family full of people who care!

Hope you feel better soon!
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Thanks Bass Trumpet for your words of encouragement. I too have developed psoriasis over the last 12 months, but I haven't been to the doctors about that. You just get fed up of going with one thing or another! And yes, you are right about the mental state affecting the physical state. But that's another thing altogether.

Anyway I will try to stay positive. :clap:
  4. Sorry to upset you, but you are making me feel better. I am currently off work after surgery on my elbow. I have had surgery 3 years running now on different bits. I thought life would begin at 40 but healthwise it went down at 39 and hasn't begun yet. I think I'm definitely becoming an old crock. Ignoring health though other bits of life have definitely improved, not sure my band think so! and every cloud has a silver lining, wouldn't be sat here posting this if i had to go to work (off for at least 4 more weeks!) :confused:
  5. Di

Di Active Member

I didn't think reaching 40 would be any different. I was wrong! I finally managed to find a diet that shifted some of my excess weight and lost 3 stone in just over 4 months. I also had a op (details of which I won't go into, don't think the fella's or the little uns would appreciate it). But its left me feeling like a new woman. :biggrin:
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I feel like one of those too, and I haven't even had an op.:biggrin:

....Coat :oops:
  7. julestools

julestools Active Member

You better believe it. Life does improve after 40. Never had time off sick, never felt fitter or worked and played harder. Got the motorbike and sports car and nearly paid off the mortgage.....BUT....At 45 (less three weeks) crashed the bike and smashed myself to bits. Incredible how the human body can repair itself with a little help from the the NHS.

Dont worry, at 40 you are reaching your peak and have experience to boot. :) Lads normally peak at 18 then get drunk and fall over.

8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

That's what I was hoping for ;)

Just don't feel it's going to happen the way i'm feeling at the mo!

Oh well, one can only hope!!
  9. julestools

julestools Active Member

I found, during my brief stay in hospital (six weeks) that there was always someone worse off than myself. It helped to have a positive attitude too. I could not wait to get out (although the food was great) and get back home.

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just the other side of 40
    No problems at all i think mine was in my late 20's- early 30's :High Blood pressure Now Gone due to a Car accident& stress at work due to the manager:ranting2:
    Broken Achilles Tendon playing Baddminton all this happened with in a space of 9 months a total of 17 weeks off work within 12 months.:oops:
    Also a attack of shingles in my left eye as well 4 weeks off:mad:
    But since then:tup
    Go swimming each day when finish work and do 50 lenghts of front crawl in 30 mins, keeps you fit and in top shape plus helps your breathing if you have got to play long sustained notes as well.
    I think of the music as i am swimming and my part as well imagine im playing my part and adjust my breathing to the swimming and belive me it works !!! as well:clap: :woo
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Hey I'm only 36 and I'm falling to bits already. Years of hard-living and accidents are finally beginning to take their toll on my wrecked body. Was hoping they'd all disappear once I hit 40 but you've taken away my last hope...:tongue:
    But I have just got a new job:D
  12. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

As Jules says there are always people alot worse off then ourselves. Find a local hospice and volunteer or help fund raise- then see how wonderful your life really is.

Make your aim in life to die at the age of 108. Shot whilst on the job by your jealous other lover!!!!!!!!!
  13. julestools

julestools Active Member

Will definitely reach 108 Mistress Ogg, or at least die trying.:)

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I had an op last year too...and let me tell you, going through with it took some balls! :biggrin:
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Boom Shhh! *groan*
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Congrats on your new job Becca!
  17. julestools

julestools Active Member

Not had that one yet but the wife keeps threatening.:oops:

Oops!...... Family forum. Sorry

18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Thank you lovely little Bunny! Am dead chuffed and have spent first months salary already. Start on 30th January...
  19. The Judge

The Judge Member

The past two years just after new year a disc in my back has "popped out". I'm approaching 40 (just less than 2yrs to go).

And the moral of the story is........

Don't put on a stone over Xmas & new year and then expect to run round the squash court like a world champion.

At least being forced to not do very much has led me back to some sites I've not visited for a while (this being one of them)
  20. julestools

julestools Active Member

Popped a disc out on honeymoon in Corfu in '93. Spent all week on my back in bed (after the disc popped out, honest). :oops: No trouble with my back since though