Appointment of Adjudicators

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by timbo100, Nov 8, 2010.

1. timbo100

timbo100 New Member

There is consistent debate on this forum regarding contest results.

Bearing this in mind do members think that there should be a minimum standard for those chosen to comment on our performances?

If so, what should this be?
    eg. formal general music qualification, formal adjudication qualification, member of the association of brass band adjudicators, leading brass conductor, first class brass/percussion player, respected musician from other genres, etc.

My thought is that they should be selected from the association of brass band adjudicators at the very least.

Any comments?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    class brass
    association of brass band adjudicators
    leading brass conductor
    formal adjudication qualification
    formal general music qualification
  3. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

[FONT=&quot]Roger Webster said this in BrassBandWorld sometime early 2000:

"I must say that I am occasionally astonished with the choice of adjucator at major contests, people you would not invite to your bandroom. I think it is important that they are musicians you believe would provide your band with an enlightening musical experience. And I am not particularly concerned whether they are part of the banding fraternety or not . [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Just that they are musicians of high standing."

I agree with him. Especially on the "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]it is important that they are musicians you believe would provide your band with an enlightening musical experience.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"

Frode
    Sop
    Eikanger

[/FONT]

4. yoda

yoda Member

The NABBC introduced (with salford) a diploma in Brass Band adjudication.

I believe that the people who gained this qualification and were deemed "fit" to adjudicate never got any work as they (and please forgive me as no offence is intended here) were not "well known" personalities.

If new people are to be integrated into the art of adjudication, then they need to work, and contest organisers need to be bold and brave and book some new talent.

:)