Apple PC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Cornishwomble, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'm thinking of changing my PC and buying an Apple imac G5.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and can give me their opinion on it. Is it easy for me to back up my files on my old PC and transfer them over? Music and Photos aren't a problem as I can put it all on my iPod and then put it on the Apple.

I haven't got loads of files just some word and excel documents.

Also looking on the Apple website I'm not sure whether to go for the 1.5Gb 533 DDR2 SDRAM which is an extra £140 or go for it and get the 2.5Gb memory which is a whopping £820 more.
    When I buy this I want it to be a good 3 or 4 years before I even think about getting another PC, I know PCs go out of date as soon as you buy them but I reckon with the full specs it should see me over that timescale.

Any opinions or advice are very welcome
  2. Mofman

Mofman Member

Hi Roy,

I've been using Apples Mac all my working life. I have 3 working ones at home an 1 (old) non working model. Two iMacs, a Mac Mini and an old Computer Warehouse Clone.

I would definately recomend Apple. The ones you mention above I would buy the one that fits your budget best. If you only need to use Word, view photos and listen to music, 1.5Gb will be plenty! I use 512Mb and I'm running applications (Graphics, DTP) that need a lot of RAM, but it works fine.
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'm doing the same. Ditching all my PC stuff and going with Macs from now on in. Other than office stuff I only used the PC for playing games but now I have a baby son I don't get much time for that anymore. Plan is to put a Mac Mini by the TV to act as a media centre, an iMac G5 for general purpose work, internet and email and a PowerBook G5 to replace the laptop. One word of caution, I'm waiting to see what prices the new Intel driven Macs come in at and whether they sell off existing Power PC stock cheaply. The other consideration is of course software i.e will development of existing Power PC software now stop in preference to the new intel compatible versions. There are also rumours of a media centre Mac Mini with inbuilt iPod dock which I find interesting.
  4. Cornishwomble

Thanks for that, I might want it for games but not high powered stuff as I have a games console (Xbox or new Playstation now that's another decision!)
    What I don't want to do is pay all that money now only for in a years time for everything to be running slow.
    I've seen the G5 at work and was really impressed so while I'm convinced to get one it the spec I'm pondering over.
    I think the top memory which is an extra £810 is probably for the serious user so it might be a case of going for the slightly smaller memory.
    Do you know if you can upgrade the memory at a later date?
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If you want it future proofed then from a software point of view you should really wait until the Intel versions come out.
  6. Cornishwomble

What do you mean by that? Is that still Apple
    I bought a budget PC about 18 months ago and now it can't do more that 3 things at once until it comes to sluggish halt.

I'm only going to use the Apple for music, photos, Internet and doing the finances, writing letters etc. So if in 2 years time it still does that without freezing up all of the time then I'll be happy.

I won't be getting high-spec games so I'm not going to have to keep up with technology with that.

I think from what I seen so far that I'll be going ahead with the G5 but I don't think I need to get top of the rannge
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

What exactly do you mean by 'music'? I feel a (lighthearted) Mac vs PC debate coming on. Putting the potential music thing on one side (assuming it's the business I'm in), then if all you're doing is the standard stuff you cited, IMO you're probably spending excess money going down the Mac route....

Has your PC actually slowed down performing the same tasks that it was doing before, or are you saying that new software doesn't perform well on it? What system are you running etc etc.

BTW, there's no such thing as a future proof machine - particularly if you're running with fairly leading edge stuff (for example motherboards with NForce4 chipsets have had endless problems).

Prior to the G5, the Mac hardware was generally more universally compatible with itself but alledgedly that isn't always true now either (but then, I'm no Mac expert).

My solution is normally put down on paper a machine that'll do the job, expand the capability by 30-50%, then build your own - it's not as difficult as people think.

I will, at this point, duck :icon_wink:
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Current Apples use "Power PC" processors made by Motorola. In the near future, Apple will switch to Intel processors instead. It will still be Apple, but all software will need to be adapted for these new processors. For all Apple-software, there will be two version of all software: a PowerPC version and an Intel version. In the future, new software will probably be only released for the Intel-Apple
  9. Mofman

Mofman Member

I would say one reason and its a BIG reason you should buy an Apple Mac is that you will never ever download a virus!! Really, after 15 years of using one I have only ever had one virus. Now on a PC you hear stories of being online for 2 mins and contract more viruses than a fly in a 3rd world county!
  10. KMJ Recordings

Only if you don't protect yourself properly.

I've been running with PCs for over12 years and never contracted an infection.

Oh, and Mac viruses are on the rise :icon_rolleyes:
  11. Mofman

Mofman Member

Ok, another reason. Microsoft are always playing catchup! Just look at the various items Apple has produced first. iPod, iTunes, great looking machines (iMacs), and not to forget easy to use Operating Systems!

12. KMJ Recordings

The original i-Macs were, er, not very good. I had one interfaced to a Mass Spec as a remote machine. It needed resetting just as much as the PCs did.

First in class is not always best in class - although I will freely admit that (up until OS X), M$ were playing catchup...however, there ave been issues with all the latest version os Mac OS. Oh, and XP is easy to use (and is much more accesible than earlier versions....
  13. Mofman

Mofman Member

The original iMacs were great compared to what we used to work on. (LCs Quadra's etc...) Looking back I remember when I sent work out on a floppy disk! And that included the Hi res Files!!!
    We are lucky to be able to email 10MB over the line to the printers.
    You were right about this getting into a Mac/PC debate.
  14. KMJ Recordings

Yep - it was bound to :icon_biggrin:

I actually believe that there's room for both macs and PCs and that people should use what they're comfortable with.

It'll be interesting to see what difference to the hardware costs the Intel chips make. It could well be that if sufficient machines are sold it'll force the software prices down as well and that can only be good for the consumer.

I still reckon, though, that if Cornishwomble is only doing the (relatively) basic tasks he reckons, then a Mac is an expensive way of doing it. Just my opinion of course, all others valid :icon_cool:
  15. KMJ Recordings

Aha - I see you're a graphic designer (or related to...) - no wonder you're a Mac Man :D
  16. Mofman

Mofman Member

I certainly am.

The prices of Apple Macs are alot cheaper than they used to be. Apple does have special offers on Mac Minis too, I think you get double the memory at the moment.

I say go and buy a Mac, the new iLife software is perfect for what Roy wants to do. It encompasses all the elements together, in a user friendly way. Once you know the basics in one side of iLife its the same throughtout. (ie iTunes, works in the same manner as iPhoto, plus you can swap between the two, also iMovie works with both of them in the same way).

Ian (the graphic designer)
  17. KMJ Recordings

:hammer :biggrin:
  18. Mofman

Mofman Member

Just out of interest, if you want your brochure redesigning, please get in touch, I offer excellent rates. Plus you are pretty local to me.

19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'd have to dispute that. I've been a Win 2K user at work and on my home PC. Recently got an XP laptop and it's driving me nuts. OSX 10.4 ("Tiger":icon_rolleyes: ) is a lot more intuitive, especially the dock at the bottom. Stability isn't really an issue as the NT derived win2k and xp are both unix based, as is OSX. Plus the original iMacs were good at the things they were designed for - basic DTP, surfing and email, Photoshop and Illustrator.

As far as Cornishwomble's OP is concerned I wouldn't pay extra money for a higher spec particularly, just make sure it's got firewire 800 ports (I think they're standard on all macs now) and you can plug the massive HD of your choice into it. 1.5Gb of RAM on a G5 mac will eat everything you throw at it unless you're doing video editing, in which case go for the most you can afford. You can upgrade iMac RAM quite easily later on, although nothing much else is upgradeable as far as I know. Keith is right about the cost though, if all you're doing is office stuff and surfing the net you can build a PC to do that for a few quid and they're easy to repair whereas the mac will be dearer to buy and harder to fix. I suppose it boils down to aesthetics - do you prefer the mac "look" and OS?
  20. KMJ Recordings

Horses for courses I think - you get used to OS design very quickly once you delve in.

The other application where RAM is important is the 'music' I was referring to. If Cornishwomble intends actually making music - particularly using sample based programs - the more RAM the better ;)