Appalancia Mountain folk suite

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tertit, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Tertit

Tertit New Member

Hi Folks.:-?
    The Grenland Brass Festival in Norway have just selcted this music of James Curow to be the the "master " for the 3 rd division of thi contest. Have any of you ever played this suite and by chance have anyone it recorded ?? [Edit]

As far as I can see this music is not done by any brass band in Norway and therefore not availible in Norway.
    Pleas serch your resourches and give me any hint where I can get a "live" copy played by any Brass Band.
    rgds Terje Skogvold,Ottestad Brass, Norway

Edit: It is tMP policy not to promote the illegal activity of file-sharing. (dyl)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    folk suite
    any
    Appalancia Mountain
    Folks.
    music
  3. Tertit

Tertit New Member

Mistyped

Please note that my english writing is poor. The titel of the song is APPALACHIAN MOUNTAIN FOLK SUITE and the composer is James Curnow

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

The track appears on the following discs:

'Celebration' - BT Band
    'Endeavour' - Yorkshire Imperial Band

I think both are available to buy at World of Brass

There are bound to be others................

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

They certainly are, Dyl.
    Here are the links;

Celebration
    Endeavour

6. Tertit

Tertit New Member

Thanks

I will try to order it from World of Brass. I hope they accept orders form outside UK

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Certainly do!

8. baribari

baribari Member

I'm sure its played quite widely over here Terje - is this the one with variations of the theme "campton races" as the third movement? - but not necessarilly as a competition piece, more a concert item.
    come to think of it I have played the 2nd movement as well in a concert - god only knows how it go's mind.:-?

9. Tertit

Tertit New Member

When I contacted the main brass-sheet-dealer in Norway he told me he had to get it from UK so the Grenland Brass festival have picked a "brand new" piece from this competition.
    Only the 2 nd and 3 rd part is to be played. Over the years I have played a lot of music from Curnow so we are very exited about getting antoher music piece from him.:p
    The Cd from YIB is on its way over the North Sea to us and we are looking forward to listen to trhe music first!!!!

10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

We've been playing Apalachian during recents concerts - fab piece. Especially the 2nd movement - absolutely beautiful!! Hope you enjoy playing it. Also, Bleinheim Flourishes by James Curnow is another fab concert item. Enjoy!!!

11. peatair

peatair Member

"Appalachian Mountain Folk Song Suite" - excellent music and a bit harder than it looks at first sight - though not massively difficult. Middle movement is lovely - "Black is the Colour of My True Love's Hair" - is the theme. There is an old recording done by BT band - if you can still get it?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    folk suite
    any
    Appalancia Mountain
    Folks.
    music
  13. Tertit

Tertit New Member

To be honest. my band have never had the chance to play anything like this brass piece. In Norway it is very "common" with Janitsjar band and you most music played but Norwegian BrassBand are copyes of an janitsjar instrumentation. Thanks to our new conductor we are really taken a "giant leap" this seson.Thanks for so many good comments on my Thread and please dont hesitat to make more comments if you wish so. Rgds Terit

14. jonford

jonford Member

This is a very fun piece, a bit cheesy in places, but its all good cheese!

15. pegleg

pegleg Member

I played this piece for several months prior to 1976, or shortly thereafter.

It may be 'new' to some, but London Citadel Band played it for quite some time (although I do remember that it was on manuscript)

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ah the memories....I can (just) remember playing this aaaaaaaaaaages ago at some long forgotten contest in the 3rd section I think. I can't remember too much about it, except the rather jaunty, and slightly cheesy melody of the first movement.

Anyway, thanks for the nostalga trip, and welcome to tMP Tertit, I hope those recordings are what you're after. :)

17. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We played the 1st and 2nd movements at the Borders Contest in Nov or Dec (cant mind when it was!), its a good piece!!