Anything out there new for Euphonium Solowise?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Aug 3, 2004.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Hi All,

Always on the look out for something new and different solowise, anyone any suggestions for a Euph Solo aimed at Section 3/4 level?

I'm familiar with all the usual old favourites

Needs to be something well known to an audience

Cheers

Ian Young

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Myfanwy arr Denzil Stephens.
    Beautiful Colorado simone mantia arr Stanley Boddington
    Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonuim - Edward Gregson
    Fantasie Originale Picchi arr Bale

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Dragon Music have two euph solos:

She Moved Through the Fair and Folksong, both based on traditional melodies which will be quite familiar to most audiences.

David Childs will be playing She Moved... at Harrogate Festival tomorrow evening! :wink:

D

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

There are a few from us that would be 'well known to an audience'.
    Click on each title for more information;

Annie Laurie
    Home on the Range
    The Swan

There are some others that wouldn't be 'well known to an audience' but might be worth considering;
    A Joy Untold Has been described as the Salvation Army answer to Flight of the Bumble Bee.
    Everybody should know (but doesn't!)
    Shepherd Song (Trevor Davis, not Goff Richards)

Email or PM me if you'd like further information or other ideas.

5. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Depends on the standard of your soloist but we have -

The Tyrolean Maiden by Ian Clarke. An Air Varie style solo
    Romanza by Nigel Hall. Slow melody
    True Love Ways arranged by Martin Pearce. The Buddy Holly Classic song
    Sanctus from St Cecile Mass - Gounod arr Nigel Hall. Another slow melody

I can email pdfs of the solo parts and some of the score to you if you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested.

(Duplicate post deleted, PB, Mod)

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Our Solo Euph player Mike Rowley has done an arrangement of 'Tommorrow Never Comes' for Euphonium and band which is really nice. We should be recording it on our upcoming CD. PM me if you are interested and I will get Mike to contact you.

7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Sonata for Euphonium by Trvgye(sp?) Madsen is fairly new (last few years) and isn't too tough, especially if you want a slow movement to play which doesn't go too high (the 2nd movement requires plenty of control but doesn't go above F).

Of course, the main problem is it's written for euph and piano and not band. Although this could be your chance to make your mark as an arranger! ;)

8. euphoria

euphoria Member

There is a new norweigan arrangement of the beautiful Queen ballad Love of my life by Freddie Mercury arr. by Svein Henrik Giske. It can be heard on the Art of the States CD by Eikanger (played on baritone). This arrangement works fine for the euphonium and it is a crowd pleaser if there ever was one (not a dry eye in sight :wink: )

I would also recommend Variations by Andrew Lloyd-Webber arr. by Peter Graham. Its based on the same Caprice no 24 by Paganini that Wilby has used for his brilliant Paganini Variations. Lloyd-Webber made his variations for his Cello playing brother Julian. Its great fun to play and everyone in the audience knows at least the theme.

Have fun
    Erik

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I don't know about good technical solo's as I tend to steer clear of them :p but there is quite a few good euph solo's

Glorious Ventures is quite easy but sounds flashy

Holy Well - Theme from Alderley Edge, tis quite nice

Blaydon Races - Another one that aint too hard but will sound flashy

Dunno about new new solos though...tell me if you find any good ones :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Anything
    All
    solowise
    anyone
    something
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

the better world..norman bearcroft

13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Totally agree, i like playing this one...also another salvation army one is There Will Be God, tis very nice but quite heavy on the soloist, is a bit lofty complete with top F finish for what seems like forever :D

14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I didn't post either of those initially as I didn't think that they fitted the criteria Needs to be something well known to an audience.
    Here goes anyway;
    The Better World
    There will be God