anything in Edinburgh?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ten left thumbs, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Any bands in Edinburgh? Just curious.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Edinburgh
    bands
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think only SA bands such as Gorgie play within the city boundaries. There is a university band that gets together for rehearsals and occasional concerts.

4. bbg

bbg Member

As mentioned above, can't think of any "city" based bands, but plenty of all sections within 30 - 45 minutes travelling time - Dalkeith & Monktonhall, Loanhead, Penicuick, St Davids, Newtongrange, the Bo'ness bands, Whitburn, Queensferry, over the Forth Bridge to Dunfermline, Kingdom....not an exhaustive list but a flavour of what's around Edinburgh.

5. Wow, thanks for the speedy responses. SA? Sorry, I'm a real noob.

I'm close to South Queensferry. I'd be especially interested in a windband, as opposed to strictly brass.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a community brass band in South Queensferry. Nearest wind band is the Linlithgow Reed Band. Plenty band activity surrounding Edinburgh, in the Lothians and in Fife.

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

SA = Salvation Army

9. duh!. Sorry, yes, got it. :oops:

Thanks for the replies. I found contact details for the S Queensferry and Linlithgow bands online.

10. MikeH

MikeH New Member

theres also a wind band in Rosyth - Rosyth Concert Band.

11. GordonH

GordonH Member

There are quite a few symphonic wind bands in Edinburgh. I think it may be the military influence and the fact that brass bands are considered a bit too working class. Not wishing to be stereotypical about tight Edinburghers, but the last band in Edinburgh ran well into the 1980's on high pitch instruments before it finally folded!

(I can gt away with saying this because I am an Edinburgher).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Edinburgh
    bands
  13. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Bathgate is a bit of a way out of Edinburgh but I think Broxburn is a bit closer.

14. Symphonic wind band - just wondering what kind of music this covers. I'm interested in swing and be-bop. If truth be told I'm interested in jazz but I'm nowhere near ready to solo. I don't really want to play military, or marches, etc.

Thanks for all replies.