Anyone watching the GB Speedway Grand Prix...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 12, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If you are.. it's on now...Sky Sports 1

For those who haven't seen any speedway - you really should take a look. It is broadcast live tonight from the one of the best world class sports stadiums in the UK... the Millenium stadium in Cardiff - and it really is a totally fantastic spectacle. Bikes that go from 0-60 in a matter of seconds, have only 1 gear and have no brakes whipping around a track at speeds of up to 70MPH... :shock: :shock:

Lots of countries represented, GB, Poland, Denmark, Australia, USA, Sweeden - and more, they are all there.

My tip... Aussie Jason Crump... he's a fantastic rider, and he's a vet...

... and... my best mate is on the gate...:):)
  2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I've retreated upstairs to avoid it! I don't mind it too much if I was on my own....but Daddy dearest likes to provide a running commentary :?
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Is this the 'All England Masters International Tournament' then

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I lost the computer and television battle so sat throught the semis and the final(and then the boxing).....its very scary, but well done to the British chap, apparently his result was a good one!
  5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Right..... Twigge family outing to the speedway in Cardiff on saturday night (I think it's the grand prix again or something like that).

I'm a little bit apprehensive about it....does anybody know what I can except-is speedway a good live spectator sport or am I going to be very bored?! Any tips on who to watch out for?
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You are most certainly not going to be bored Caz... it is a superb spectator sport. Lots of noise, lot sof high speed action. Imagine single gear noisy bikes, travelling and cornering at speeds up to 70MPH... and with NO BRAKES...:):)
  7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

No, but watched some of the biking at Silverstone before heading up to JJB on Sunday. Then had to sit in the bar listening to three of my colleagues commenting on Suzi Perry's peanut smuggling know who you are, be ashamed.

8. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Sounds remarkably like my first motorbike! Bought for £5 when I was 13
  9. JessopSmythe

One of our customers has had to cancel due to family commitments which means I get to take the spare place. Getting paid to watch the speedway and get p****d on expense account:p
  10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

We'll see you in the street outside the stadium again like last time I went to the Millenium stadium then!
  11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Speedway is quite strange!

It's very exciting in short minutes bursts and it's very exciting when they crash (and amazzing how they just get up and get straight back on their bikes!)

It was also exciting when a group of drunk men behind us started a fight with another group of men. They are supposed to be adults!!..I thought it to be particularly amusing that they had to take their t-shirts off to do this?!
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

tshirts reduce their ability to swing efficiently... possibly something you should teach the kiddies...
  13. JessopSmythe

It's just a little on the loud side too. Not the bikes, of course, just the sound of 20,000 air horns going off in time to Amarillo....

"Sha la la la la la la la PARP PARP":eek:
  14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

We all bought very lovely ear plugs...I quite like mine...I keeping them to wear for fun.

I'd best go and watch the grand prix now,just incase seeing 88 laps of racing last night wasn't enough....
  15. JessopSmythe

Gave up on the earplugs quite early on. They seemed, bizzarely, to keep out none of the actual sound but most of the atmosphere:confused:.

Not sure how that works, but it was definitely more enjoyable without the earplugs.

Not only that, the earplugs were a rip off, £1 a pair! One the customers we had with us buys them for use by his production staff and pays £4 per 1000 pairs:eek: He plans to bring a few boxes next year and set up stall outside the gates.
  16. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I know what you mean about the atmosphere being also meant that without realising I sang very loudly and badly to the national anthems and Bjorn Again (who were quite good I thought!)