Anyone regularly playing a Wessex EEb ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Vegasbound, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Looking for anyone who uses a Wessex EEb as their primary instrument, or has played one on a regular basis, to give me some feed back and how they compare to the Sovereign/Besson ?

I ask for no other reason than my band is looking to replace a tuba and the Wessex is in the frame!

2. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

I had one for a bit, can honestly say they are a nice instrument. Quality not quite up to equivalent to others - e.g. Yamaha Neo (which have very high quality) and mine was was a while ago, so granted might have been worked on since then. The lacquer finish was not as good, but quite acceptable and didn't have any bleeds etc. :)

Tuning wise, tone, range and handling all great and well worth the cheaper ££££ price. If really picky - the valves are/were a little 'clunky' on mine and didn't feel as smooth & the slide pull rings were too thin (felt lower quality), but I was very satisfied overall.
    Vegasbound likes this.
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

We bought one for our band and then the player bought his own - he was that pleased with it !
    They are really good value for money.
    As MD I've never had any issues with either of the instruments.
    Matthew likes this.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The EEbs are really quite good, but there is still a tinniness about them and they dent easily. I'm a clumsy sod and got dings in a couple of places from banging into stands, etc. The Silver plating is not the greatest - but it is better than the Wessex euph I have, where it has worn away completely in several places after only 4 years. I contacted them about this but was not happy with the reply. I had my previous instrument for nearly 20 years and there was very little loss of plating. The EEb seems OK at the moment.

As has been said above, the valves can be a little clunky, but they do eventually wear in. the sound is good throughout the range and they do, generally speak easily throughout.
    Matthew and Vegasbound like this.
  5. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

MikeyL - what did they say about your plating issue out of interest? :)
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Jonathan Hodgetts said 1. It was probably because I have very acid skin and that they would replate it at cost. Given that, at the first sign of it coming off was only two years after I bought it, I thought that was not really acceptable. You should see it now. It's all coming off the third valve slide. Looks like it's diseased.

The Bass' plating is still in good nick, though.
  7. Slider1

Slider1 Member

A Good few years ago now I purchased a new Sovereign Baritone. The plating started coming off the Valve casings within months and the answer was the same but there was no offer about replating. So nothing changes.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Spend your money on a used Mid 1980's Sov preferably 981. You can get great instrument for £3000