Anyone Played...........

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Charmed, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

........the Horn and Baritone duet 'MEISO' by John Golland? It looks, how can I put it, interesting?

Our solo baritone player asked if I would be interested in having a go at it with him in the absence of a Solo Horn player. We have purchased it but looking at it, I may just decide to leave it until we have recruited! :eek:
  2. pdj

pdj Member

Hey Charmed dont put yourself down, I have never played it before and who knows I may not be able to play it but we could have a go. I mean nobody in our band can go :oops: like me when I play solo stuff lol. Im game if you are!!!!
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Its a great duet go on play it
  4. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

I played it in Japan (early 90s) with Black Dyke, Peter Christian and Sandy Smith playing the solo lines. Not only are the solo lines difficult getting the correct textures in the band parts are also a challange
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

This piece was actually written for Peter Christian and Sandy Smith. Would not for one moment imagine it could be up to their standard. Technically, there are one or two bars that will stretch, however, I have not really looked at the band parts yet! :eek:
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It was also recorded on 'The Essence of Time", one of my favourite brass band CDs ever!
  7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Gorgeous piece of music, and IMHO well worth the effort it would take to make a good job of it. Did John Golland ever write anything bad - I don't think so.
  8. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

Do it!!! It is beautiful!, and one of my favourites!!
  9. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Yeah, i've played it before. It's quite high for both, but under then finger technically as I remember and sounds 'interesting' but I personally think beautiful -although not sure what the average brass band audience may think!! I have it as sound file to send if you want to hear it played?........Simon
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I assume that you have the necessary permissions to allow distribution? If not, I'm afraid tMP does not support the idea of file-sharing!
  11. CJBrew

CJBrew New Member

I presume there's no piano reduction for this so it can be used in a duet contest....?