Anyone know of 'O Magnum Mysterium' for band...?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 6, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Heard this fantastic piece again on ClassicFM yesterday after not hearing it for many years and wondered if anyone knows of a Brass arrangement for it.

If you like gregorian chant music such as Gregorio Allegri's 'Miserere', or Agnus Dei (Barber's Adagio for Strings, but sung) then you'll love this piece.

If you haven't heard it, please have a listen to this live version - not the best sound recording as it was done on a camcorder, but the music.... well... it's simply sublime.

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I heard this too and thought about whether there is a brass band arrangement. There is one for Wind Band by H Robert Reynolds.

[Can't get the YouTube Link to work]
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Here it is (Blimey that 5 minutes editing time went quick!!!)

4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Fantastic piece. Sat here with a copy of the vocal score in front of's worth pointing out that it's far from easy to sing well - lots of crossing parts and very close chords, and at one point in the 'Alleluia' section it divides into nine parts.

Great work from the choir in the first link, though if one is being really picky they could have done with more weight on the lowest bass part in the loud section. Mind you, that's the bit in nine parts, and the low note is a bottom D, so you probably won't ever get quite enough weight on it! They made it even more difficult for themselves by not standing in parts. All in all a super effort.

Is there a brass band version? Not a clue. Should there be? Not sure...the wind band version is ok but it's not a patch on the original. It would need a really top notch band to make it sound good. My personal feeling is that this one is better left alone.

[The piece is by Mortan Lauridsen and the copyright date is given as 1995.]
  5. IJK

IJK Member

Played this piece on Saturday night with City of Sheffield Brass Band what a great piece
  6. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

There is one by Phillip Littlemore - available from faber Music.....nice arrangement
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There has been so many settings of this chant over the centuries. Is it the one by Mortan Lauridsen that you are specifically interested in?
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

There's an arrangement by Len Ballantine, recorded by the Canadian Staff Band on the CD "Festivity". Couldn't agree more; this is a sublime piece of music.
  9. Ali

Ali Member

There sure is. It helped Leyland take best new music/arrangement at last years Brass in Concert. Its also been recorded as a bonus track (although not listed) on Leylands latest CD Penlee.
  10. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

been playing a beautiful arrangement of this with Harlequin for a couple of years now. it's very hard work with 10 piece, but sounds completely sublime.
    I believe we're performing it a bandfest at elsecar heritage centre on 20th October
  11. This is a great piece, and a good arrangement to boot.

On a related note, does anyone know where you can get hold of a copy of Lux Aurumque that Fountains City played at last years' gala concert at the Sage?
  12. I have a transcription of Lux Aurumque. Give me a PM :)
  13. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

did it with rainford great piece the UTAH singers on youtube have done one of the best recordings i think
  14. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

What a pity that link didnt work!! I love this music, I could listen to it all day all the time! i have numerous recpordings in my collection but not this one!! I think that Allegri's Miserre Mei would work well for brass band to.
  16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

2nd attempt it worked!
  17. Ali

Ali Member

Fodens have recently recorded 'O Magnum'. Look out for the new Patrons Choice Cd which should be out in the next couple of months!!!!
  18. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

It's also hard to play as a full band arrangement - get it wrong and you'll sound "rank".
  19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Just a nitpicky point... Neither of those pieces are Gregorian chant.
  20. SteveT

SteveT Member

Look up Eikanger's Siddis performance on u tube for the Littlemore arrangement>