Anyone know of good pieces for glock or xylophone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sunshine, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sunshine

sunshine Member

We have recently acquired a tuned percussionist at our band - Corby Silver; and need some help in finding some good music that will feature the glock or xylophone.

We are not talking championship section pieces, but nothing too tame either as our lad with the sticks is very talented and looking for something he can get his teeth (or beaters ) into.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

William Tell arranged last year by David Johnson. Hard though
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

There is a duet our percussionists played last year at Tilbury but I can't for the life of me remember what its called!
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Spinning Song - Mendelssohn arr Snell (I think), Xylo solo.
    The Clock with the Dresden Figures - Another Snell arrangement, not sure of the composer.
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Could that be The Two Imps?
  6. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Dresden is by Albert William Ketelbey. It's for three percussionists and a "tick tocker man" (as our conductor put it) playing the clock ticks. We did it with four tuned plus a horn player moonlighting on wooden agogo bells when we did it on radio 2 recently.

My suggestion:

Toccata in D minor, Bach arr Farr - nice xylo part to get his teeth into!

7. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

Its not just glock and xylophone, but to mind, the best tuned percussionist solo I've heard is Russky Percussky!

You got glock and xylophone, but also Marimba, tubular bells and pedal timps playing a tune.

If that doesn't give your player something to get their teeth into, I don't know what will.

Plus play it well and you'll walk any solo prize/percussion prize at a contest!! :clap:
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Two Imps
  9. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

On The Track by Jack Simpson. Written in the 30s but there is finally a band arrangement in print from Kirklees by Alan Catherall (the are lots of 'home grown' arrangements and cut down millitary band versions about too). Not sure how hard the band parts are but the xylo part isn't too bad (and sounds very impressive when you get it up to speed!). Sparks by Kenneth Alford is OK (but a bit repetative!) and is on the back of 'The Two Imps' (a xylo duet but it can be done as a duet between a cornet and xylo I guess....). Helter Skelter is great but harder than the other 2 (published by Obrasso I think) as is Xylophonia (arr Snell).
  10. barrytone

barrytone Member

William Tell but can't remember the arranger, definately not the one mentioned earliler by David Johnson as I played this in 2004 if not before. Fantastic xylophone feature, very impressive, need quick and clean tongues on horn though at they have the accompanying semis to the solo. Highly recommended.
  11. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Robbin' Harry is a great piece, nice little ragtime solo, also has a jazz vibes bit and four sticking at the end. I did an arrangement of it years ago for GEC Avionics band if they're still going!

It is on the Evelyn Glennie CD Rhythm Song, as is Czardas, for which another of my arrangements is out there somewhere.
  12. I agree. My son plays the Alan Catherall arrangement by Kirklees music, and it can't be too hard as he's only 12! Sounds very impressive though! The band parts are ok, mainly off beats with a few runs for euph and cornet.
    He's also started to play Black and White Rag - there's an arrangement by Howard Snell for solo or duet xylos.
  13. tubagod

tubagod Member

there is also "erindring auf Cirkus Renz" or something... anyhow Circus Renz is the bit that springs to mind.
  14. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Thats the one!!!

Thank you :clap:
  15. Active Member

Prima Vista Musikk have recently published Taps in Tempo arranged by Rodney Newton.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about this piece but would think that, seeing a former professional percussionist has done the arrangement, it would be a quality publication.
  16. chizzum

chizzum Member

sparks! amazing solo for xylophone, and good band parts too
  17. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

'A little prayer' by Evelyn Glennie. Absolutely stunning when played well! Unfortunately it is for solo glockenspiel (I think) with no accomp. Still well worth it though.