Anyone know anything about music publishing?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by yogi1000, Apr 26, 2005.

1. yogi1000

yogi1000 Member

Can anyone please tell me how to go about talking to publishing companies about getting a composition published?

I've just finished writing a great test piece and need any information about where to go, who to talk to, what to say and all those kinds of things to get my work published and on the market for other people to see and enjoy.

Any replies would be fantastic.
  2. Publication

I don't know that there's anything you can really say to help get your piece published, the piece pretty much has to stand on its own. What you should do is perform a google search for brass publishers. There are quite a few out there, large and small (my own company included). Find out what their submission requirements are--make sure it's someone who publishes the kind of thing you've written. Also, be prepared for a lot of rejections. If you feel your piece has merit, just keep persisting until someone agrees to publish your piece. If you don't want to go to the trouble, you can always try self-publishing, but that has troubles of it's own--and is a heck of a lot more work than having someone else publish for you. As a self-publisher, you're actually starting a business.

Most publishing companies will have somewhere on their website instructions for submitting a piece. If you're just getting started you may have better luck with smaller publishers. Right now, I'm self publishing my works under the name Alla Breve Music, but I'm not yet set up to accept submissions. But try clicking some of the banner adverts that appear on this site. I know Pennine accepts submissions. (And don't forget the google search I mentioned above.) You might also email the guys at They're not publishers, more like dealers, but they'll probably post your piece on their site for a commission of the sales.

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just send your music off to various different publishers.... If you look around on google for the main companies (studio music etc) I'm sure you'll find address'...

Good luck
  4. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

The best thing in my opinion is to contact the publishers first by e-mail or phone to check that they are willing to accept submissions. Some publishers will not accept these but will not say on their websites. Others are more than happy but have their own rules as to how they want the material submitted (i.e Paper or, perhaps, as a Sibelius or Finale file). You will also possibly be asked for a recording if the right sort of music software files are not available.

One more point, please be prepared for what could be quite a long delay in getting a response. Publishers that do accept submissions usually do receive a lot (I get close to 20 a week). To properly judge a work and its saleability takes time.

IMP/Warner unfortunately are not in a position at the moment to accept submissions but I am happy to look at anything (arrangements and/or compositions) for publication under the Crabtree Music banner.

I hope that this has been of some help.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Do a search on the tMP lInks directory for publishers and try contacting them directly... it's a great place to start!
  6. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Go to, they are a new publishing company who are there to give young composers the chance of getting their music published when the likes of the big boys such as kirklees wont touch them. They are great friends of mine and i know they would be happy to take a look at your work. Their details are on the website so get in touch as they are looking for new composers. Good Luck!
  7. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Jagrins Music Publications of Stockport are always willing to accept any submissions of new compositions and arrangements. We currently have a catalogue of some 15 or so composers, most of whom are relatively 'new' to the medium, but have a firm background in Brass Band music. There are also works from 'established' names such as Goff Ricahrds and Gareth Pritchard, aswell as the exciting young talent of Neil Bowden among others. PM me or email to find out more.
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You could also try - they publish my music, although there is usually quite a long delay in between receiving the music and publishing it! They are always on the look out for new stuff though, so give them a try, adn they are very pleasant and reasonable to deal with. Tell them I recommended you - he publishes some of my stuff too, so he knows me quite well!!

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You might try the ineffable Nigel Hall of MMI music. Nigel is a lovely man and will generally keep you informed about the progress of your submission. He has a more rapid turn around than some people I could name and a good rate.I'm happy with the service I get.
  10. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Thanks Mike!

I'm always happy to look at new pieces although because of my recent computer problems there is a bit of a delay in getting pieces into publication at the moment but I always try to give composers some indication of interest within a couple of weeks of receiving them.

I prefer submissions to be sent in Sibelius format but I don't turn my nose up at either handwritten or pdf files!
  11. peatair

peatair Member

12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

See! I'm not the only member of the Nigel Hall fan club ;)
  13. MrMustard

MrMustard New Member

Try Sibelius Music

I don't know whether you used Sibelius for your composition, if you did you can set your own store up on their web site for $30 per month, and you could publish it yourself! The site addy is
    I've only just started one up myself, so it's early days yet, but I've certainly had plenty of viewers to my site.
  14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I presume that would only be open to those people who have actually bought the software from Sibelius, rather than those who use one of the many pirate copies there are floating around ;)

15. MrMustard

MrMustard New Member

Yeah that's true but they don't mind which version of Sibelius you have. Maybe you could pick an old version 1.0 up if you haven't got an original or there's a student version available for £99. It's getting a bit expensive now though, maybe I'd better shut up!