Anyone know any good horn and flugel features?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toppy the tenor, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Does anyone out there know of any decent horn and flugel features that we could play?

I know:

Hey Jude (after 10 years of playing it I'm sick, sick, sick of it!)
    Winter from the Four Seasons (absolutely gorgeous but a bit out of season!)

Any more for any more?????

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We've Only Just Begun (arr. Ashmore).
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I thought We've Only Just Begun (Ashmore) was a quartet feature for horn section and lead baritone. I'm probably getting it mixed up! Anyway, can't remember who arranged it (I'm sure someone on here does!) but there's a duet for flugel and horn - an arrangement of the Crystal Gayle number Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue.
  4. Philip sparke has quartet arrangement for the whole horn section. Can't rememer it off-hand... I think its morning song or something. we ran it in band a few weeks back and sounded nice and tranquil and all that with some very nice typical sparke features.
  5. Di B

Di B Member

We've only just begun is indeed for horns and solo baritone. Bari needs to be able reach top C's without it sounding forced as a guide.
  6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It is indeed called Morning Song. Available from your local dealer!!
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Goff Richards, under the psyeudonymn of Hugh Nash.
  8. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

is the solo in light walk for cornet or flugal? i remember playing in a concert with Alan Morrison, and he played it on cornet............ :?
  9. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

think its flugal but wee've had it on both
    and heard it on cornet before but hey
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

may be wrong but i think its written on the flugal part and cued on the solo cornet. (or is it cornet 1)
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Correct (as usual!). I suppose it's to give the option of playing it on cornet if your Flugel can't get up to the top C's. :?

Back on topic though.... have you tried the Elvera Madigan Theme? Can't remember who arranged it but it features 3 horns and Flugel and is not too cheesy. :wink:
  12. asteria

asteria Member

No, don't do it!!! A terrible terrible piece, it should never have been arranged for brass band, and certainly keep it away from the horn section! :evil:

I'd rather put up with Hey Jude thankyou!
  13. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

maybe not everybodys choice, but do the horns start off the melody in You'll Never Walk Alone??? Or am i imagining things again? Maybe Nadia can fill us in on this one as well :wink:
  14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Horn Feature

there is a steve sykes arrangement of "we've only just begun" for quartet and band, works really well...
    also I know it is baritone and horn but " Meiso " John Golland is brilliant too....
  15. WoodenFlugel

Shall I put you down as a "maybe" for that one then? :p
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

agreed :) orrible :D
    yabb memories spring to mind.

haha the buddah isnt sure on this one stephen-son but has a hunch you may be on the path to enlightenment with that one.
  17. WoodenFlugel

Not that I’m one for going back on what I’ve previously said but…
    I’m beginning to regret suggesting it in the first place for 2 reasons:
    1. I’ve just remembered that we played it at every job for (what seems like) years, until our conductor finally took it back in and then promptly left. When our new conductor started, guess what one of the first pieces he took out of the library was…… :roll:
    2. Now I’ve remembered it, I can’t stop humming the flippin’ thing and it’s driving me mad :x

All together now

Dum, Da Dum, Da Duuuummmm, Da Da Da Da Daaa Da…… :evil: :evil:
  18. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

19. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Norman Bearcroft did a festival arrangement for horns entitled 'On the Sunny Side'.

It's a bit on the cheesy side but all the same it's a good light number. Not sure if it involves the flugel though. World of Brass should have it for sale I think.

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band
  20. hornette

hornette New Member

Ummmm though the name of the whole set of movements has slipped my mind at the moment... Gypsy Dream from that Cossack thing? It's a sort of for horns and flugel although it has a baritone part in it too!