Anyone know any Cornet Quartets?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jockinafrock, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Greetings people!
    Looking for a cornet quartet to add to our repertoire and don't want to have to waste money buying stuff that a. we don't like b. we can't play....
    Don't want anything with tripling in it, but likewise not too easy. For comps and concerts.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers! :D
  2. davids

davids New Member

Cornet Quartets

Try this site -

They have beginner to advanced quartets for trumpets.

3. jockinafrock

Thanks for that! Just ordered something I think may be suitable, but grateful for yet more suggestions folks... :tup
  4. Martin

Martin Member

I always liked 'Cornets a go-go' (actually a quintet with the Sop on the upper part). Not too difficult but interesting enough for both competitions and concerts. HTH.
  5. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Trumpet Blues and Cantabile.
  6. db-123

db-123 New Member

It's probably worth having a look at what Triplo Press has to offer. Here's their quartet page.

cheers – db
  7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've played this before, albeit in a 10 piece arrangement I think - was a while ago. I can't remember how easy/hard it was, but it's worth checking out if you can get a look at it before you buy! Force Four on the Eb Scale it's an Adrian Drover number and is based on the 3rd movt of the Haydn tpt concerto.
  8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Love this piece
  9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Since brass band pieces (including trombones) are written in Bb Treble Clef, you could use a quintet/quartet for trombones, tubas, trumpets, etc. The one problem might be bass trombone, which for some reason unbeknownst to me, is the only low brass instrument in brass band (or "world parts" as they are called in the US) is written in Bass Clef.

10. jockinafrock

"Good thinking Batman...!!!" Hadn't occurred to me, so thanks for that! :D
  11. jockinafrock

Contacted this wee company and received my quartet the very next day - first class! :clap:
  12. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Cornet Carillon - Trio or Quartette
    The Tops (another 4 + Sop).
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Two from the Salvation Army repertoire are Norman Bearcroft's "Joyous Proclamation" and Richard Holz's "Heralds of Victory". We are also giving the premiere performance on Saturday of a new Bearcroft work featuring sop and four cornets: entitled "Over here, over there" it includes snippets of tunes from both sides of the Atlantic, put together in Norman's inimitable style.
  14. jockinafrock

Some very helpful suggestions folks! Keep 'em comin' - you can never have enough q'tets! :D
  15. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I assume you also mean 'HIGH" Peter :)

I seem to recall hearing The Ash Grove arranged for cornets, maybe by Steve Bulla (?) but I can't remember if it was a trio or quartet. The Canadian Staff Band played it but, to my knowledge, it was never recorded.
  16. jockinafrock

Would this one be like the air varie solo? I like that one! :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  17. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

It's been quite a few years since I heard it (and I only recall hearing it once or twice) but I'm sure it's a theme and variations treatment. I thought it was excellent and the memory has remained with me all this time.
  18. jockinafrock

Simon Kerwin composed a new cornet quartet which we gave an airing at Lytham Brass Festival, and with which we took 2nd place! It's fun, technical, got gorgeous chords but not too taxing for a reasonable player!

Highly recommend getting in touch with him, 'cos there aren't many decent cornet q'tets about, and certainly not many as enjoyable to play as this one! :clap:
  19. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

Well done! This Quartet is called Illustrations for Cornets and it is published by Mode for....
    Glad you enjoyed playing it - it is another little diamond from Simon and in our catalogue.
    congrats again on 2nd place at Lytham.

all the best