Anyone interested in a Composing Contest (Survey)

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by P. Sanderson, Jul 26, 2003.

1. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

In 2006 the Yorkshire & Humberside Association will be celebrating their 50th anniversary.

One of the suggestions for this, is that we hold a competition for young composers.

The idea being that we ask for a piece about 11/12 minutes long playable by any band, celebrating Yorkshire and Yorkshire life.

At the present this is only one idea and may not be accepted, but I would like to know how many entries we could possibly get.

Let me know so that I can put some figures to the Association
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Great Idea - but why a young composers competition. :?

The recent Foden's competition was open to all ages and I believe they have had loads of entries.

There is a wealth of hidden talent (of all ages) in our movement so could I suggest that if you do go ahead with this idea you do not put an age limit on it.

I for one would certainly submit an entry.

3. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

As yet nothing has been decided.
    The actual rules will be discussed and decided upon (if the competition goes ahead) after the AGM next march
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

i think a young composers competition is a great idea... encourage the next generation to write music...
    give them a chance to show their talents and have a chance of having a good career...

After-all, these will be the people who'll be shining once the big names have all passed on ;-)
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'm firmly with Roger on this one. Although I've been composing since I was a student I realise that I haven't begun to scratch the surface yet and that I'll probably be in retirement before I find my 'mature' voice as a composer. If I live long enough! This is mirrored by so many of the great composers - those who live to be old usually seem to discover a 'golden period' in their lives which surpasses the work of their youth and middle age. Verdi is perhaps the best example but in our own time Elliott Carter is proving this to be still the case.

I am aware of the exceptions and those who died tragically young, but apart from composers competitions specifically aimed at students, I can see no reason why those still learning at 30, 40 or 50 should be excluded.

The notion of 'life long learning' is with us to stay - the idea that at the age of 25 you know it all and are set up for life is no longer true, if it ever was.

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

And what if you don't live in Yorkshire?, I would have thought it would be a bit tricky to compose a peice about Yorkshire life if you've never lived there, I can see lots of peices entitled "Flat caps, Whippets & Pigeons" :) or is it only open to composers in Yorkshire?
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't have thought it should be too problematic for those not living in Yorkshire. There have been plenty of instances of composers being commissioned to write occasional piece linked with particular locations, and I am sure there are avenues of research available to them - I don't think Holst visited any of the planets apart from the one he omitted from his suite!

Seriously, I think any competiton for composers can only be a good thing as it stimulates interest and generates new additions to the repertoire. From what I understand of recent competitions - that run by Fodens and the one for trombone features in conjunction with Brett Baker - there is likely to be a good response.

I do not think an age restriction is necessary, for the reasons already stated, but it may be worth offering a couple of categories, including one for composers who have not previously had anything published for brass.
  8. Mr Smiler

Mr Smiler Member

Very amusing Peter, mind you, listening to the music of some composers inclines one to think that they were on a different planet! :wink:
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Regarding numbers of entries expected, I've just read that Fodens have had to postpone the decision on theirs as they have had more than 100 entries.
  10. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

Number Expected

Thanks Peter
    That is exactly why I have started this survey now.
    2006 may seem a long way off now, but these things take some time to organise.
    One thing we must not forget is that it has not yet been decided to run this competition. It is just one of many things that are being thought about.
  11. HBB

HBB Active Member

I for one woujld certainly be interested. And although I agree with Roger and David, I think that possibly 2 contests?! One for the young, and one for the older?! I think that sometimes it might be nice to see the amount of talent just the youngen's posess, and then they won't be tempted to think:

"Oh, lots of old people'll enter, so there's no point ..."

you don't see the presenters on Blue peter saying "& mums and dads you can enter too! :)"

12. leisa

leisa Active Member

id enter why not???
  13. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the ideas so far folks. Keep em coming.
    The more we have the better.