Anyone in/near York fancy Xmas busking??

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by pjb120, Nov 9, 2004.

1. pjb120

pjb120 Member

Hi, I was wondering if there are any players in or around York who fancy doing a bit of busking in the city centre for a couple of Saturdays in December.

I play euph, so would play the bass part, so I am looking for a solo (cornet/flugel), alto (e.g. cornet or horn) and tenor part (e.g. trom or baritone).

I played in a quartet last year for a couple of days where we netted over £200 (for around 2 and a half hours playing each day) and received loads of compliments and thanks, so it was generally a great experience.

If anyone is interested, please contact me via e-mail, and we can hopefully arrange a Saturday (or another day if it is easier for people) to meet up.

Cheers ;)

2. I'm at uni in york (st john college)
    As my username might suggest, i can't actually play cornet, or any other instrument come to think of it...
    But, i am interested in learning, so if you have any information on learning an instrument in york, that wud b great! :D
    oh, i suppose I should tell you... I have NO money, and very little transport (2 legs) but any information would be very handy, thanx!!!

Olie

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Olie

You ought to talk to the Head of Music at York St John's - David Lancaster - who is not only a classy cornet player but is witty, charming, articulate etc. and who may give you a lesson or two for the price of a pint if you catch him in a good mood.

SM

4. pjb120

pjb120 Member

It's a shame i dont live in York anymore (just graduated from there), else i could have given you some free tuition to get started. If I were you, I'd get in touch with rowntrees (or shepherd building group band as they're called now), as i'm guessing they may give some sort of tuition for new starters. The railway institute band may also offer this sort of tuition, and both bands are situated within medium walking distance of York st John.

5. brass journo

brass journo Member

you never miss an opportunity do you Straightmute!!!

but as it goes Olie - I can validate that the head of music is good fella and worth getting in touch with!!

6. brass journo

brass journo Member

do you need a licence for York?

7. pjb120

pjb120 Member

no, you can play anywhere in York city centre licence free, its just a case of turning up and playing.

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'd go with Straightmute's suggestion if I were you...that Lancaster chappie's a top bloke right enough and you'll struggle to find anyone better.